Our team continues to process and send vouchers in line with UK Government guidelines. In the meantime, we’ve extended our voucher validity from 12 to 18 months giving you plenty of time to take your experience.
For more information on how we’re addressing the coronavirus situation view our COVID-19 FAQs
4x4 driving - the most fun you can have at 5mph! Off-road driving schools all over the UK, with Land Rovers, Jeeps, Mitsubishis & Range Rovers. From 30-minute tasters, to full days of in-depth off-road training, this is your chance to drive a 4x4 at your choice of centre near you. Off roading FAQs
• 4x4 experience spent off roading nr Aberfoyle, Stirlingshire • Drive three tracks on the off road circuit • Sessions start with an instructor-driven demo • Fleet includes Land Cruisers & Suzuki Jimny
• A range of 4x4 sessions at Whitecliff Quarry • Drive Land Rovers & Range Rovers offroad • Get a real insight into the 4x4 off road experience with expert tuition • Lunch is included on all experiences
• Experience driving a Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4x4 in Scotland • A purpose-built off-road course at Knockhill • Run as small group session with you all in the car • Water splashes, ravines, steep drops & more
• Drive the brilliant Land Rover Discovery II Td5 • 1:1 off road driving around 50 minutes at the wheel • Includes an instructor demo drive - hold on tight! • Explore the grounds of the lovely Slaley Hall
• 1:1 4x4 off road tuition from a BORDA approved instructor • Get behind the wheel of a Landrover Defender 90 • Challenge axle twisters, slopes and deep water • Various driving durations to choose from
• Off roading at your choice of locations nationwide • Drive Modern or Traditional Off Roading Vehicles • A whole host of superb countryside venues on offer • Individual & a special family package available
• Drive a 4x4 & stay on the Coniston Estate, Yorks • An overnight stay with offroading session included • Package includes dinner and breakfast for two • Make the most of the hotel's spa facilities too
• A break away in Wales with 4x4 driving included • Stay one or two nights in a log cabin near Swansea • Welcome & hosting by the 4x4 driving operator • Enjoy a 1hr private 4x4 lesson as part of your stay
4x4 off road driving is the best fun you can have at 5mph. You’ll be amazed at just what steep terrain these vehicles can tackle and you’ll surprise yourself with your driving skills too. All sessions are geared to you, so whether you’re a beginner who has never gone beyond the pavement before, or are a 4x4 vehicle owner, the session is tailored to you.
Who it’s not for:
If you really don’t like driving or can’t drive, this experience won’t be for you! Having said that, don’t let a simple case of nerves put you off because you’ve never done it before. And even if you haven’t got the bottle to actually take the wheel yourself, you could opt for a 4x4 passenger ride instead.
Do I need a driving licence to go on a 4x4 driving experience?
Even though experiences take place on private, off-road land, many schools do ask that you have a driving licence. In most cases you’ll also need to be capable of driving a standard vehicle with manual transmission, but some venues can offer sessions in automatic vehicles, so check with each location or give us a call to check on 01959 578100.
Are there any medical restrictions for 4x4 driving?
Yes. As you’ll be driving over uneven ground you will get jostled about in the car. Therefore, if you’ve had surgery within the last 12 months, have back or neck problems, it is advisable not go for 4x4 driving.
Can I drive a 4x4 off road if I’m pregnant?
No. Due to the rugged nature of the driving terrain, women who are or think they might be pregnant should not take part in a 4x4 off road session either as a passenger or a driver.
I’ve never driven off road before. Will I be able to do it?
This is the first thing a lot of guests say when they arrive on the day! With highly experienced and highly qualified BORDA (British Off Road Driving Association) instructors in the cars with you at all times, you will be taught how to off road drive. It might be different to how you drive day to day, but you’ll soon get the hang of it and you’ll soon be tackling some pretty serious steeps.
Are experiences run on a one-to-one basis?
We have one-to-one teaching and small group 4x4 lessons. We offer everything from short taster sessions lasting around 30 minutes, to full day intensive training courses for individuals and small groups.
What sort of terrain will I be tackling on my 4x4 experience?
Each venue varies. Some are in former quarries, some are in woodlands, others are man-made obstacle courses and there are locations that make the most of the natural features of the terrain. Often there are training paddocks where you can get used to driving the car and many locations have circuits of varying degrees of difficulty that you progress through as confidence builds.
Will the weather affect my off roading experience?
Yes, but usually in the good way! A bit of rain makes those water splashes and muddy ditches all the more entertaining for you. If the weather is deemed too extreme to be safe, your off road session will be postponed and you book in for a new date.
What should I wear to go off roading?
Flat soled (preferably lace-up) shoes for driving and dress for comfort and the weather. The ground may be dusty and muddy, so dress sensibly.
What cars are used?
By far the most popular 4x4 vehicle for these experiences is the Land Rover. Usually the Defender or the Discovery is the model of choice. Some suppliers also have Jeeps, Range Rovers and pick-ups such as the Mitsubishi L200 and the Isuzu DMax. There are even some specially modified extreme 4x4s as well for you to try.
What happens if the 4x4 I’m supposed to drive breaks down?
Nearly all our 4x4 experience suppliers have a fleet of 4x4 vehicles, so if one is out of action there will be a similar replacement vehicle. On the rare occasion that a vehicle breaks down that can’t be mended and there’s no replacement available, you will usually be able to re-book your experience.
What happens if the 4x4 I’m driving gets stuck?
Taking on seriously gnarly axle-twisting slopes inevitably means at some point you might get stuck. Seasoned 4x4 drivers always find a way out the sticky situation, even if involves a winch and a another 4x4 coming to the rescue. It’s all part of the fun of green-laning!
Can passengers come along with me for the ride?
Inviting rear seat passengers to join you whilst you drive is an option from several operators, especially on one-to-one experiences. In some cases you may have a small fee to pay for this. On small group experiences you’re generally a passenger in the vehicle when it’s not your turn to drive, so there’s no room for extra guests.
Can I do a 4x4 experience in my own car?
Most operators use their own fleet of cars. Given some of the terrain on offer, we’d ask why anyone would want to take their own pristine 4x4 out on such tracks, but we do actually have suppliers who offer 4x4 courses and training in your own car, subject to the vehicle being suitable.
Are there 4x4 experiences near me?
Yes! We have a huge range of off road experiences at locations covering the length and breadth of the country, so there’s bound to be a 4x4 experience near you. Here’s just a selection of our most popular venues: