• 4x4 experience driving Land Rovers. The fleet includes Defender 90s, Discovery Ones and Range Rover Classics
• Choose from a shared half or full day experience where you will form part of a group of up to 3 participants sharing the drive time, or a 1:1 half or full day session with just you and the instructor for the duration of your session.
4x4 Half Day Shared Experience - a variety of sections
• Approximately one hour individual drive time
• Learn basic off-road driving techniques
• Short classroom session lasting approximately 10 minutes
• Walk the course assessing the route
• Drive the vehicle learning the different techniques required to drive off road
• Hands on experience is gained in high and low ratio gearbox
• The circuits gradually increase in difficulty over different terrains including mild to moderate declines to gullies and side slopes
• Debrief and buffet lunch is provided
• Certificate of attendance
4x4 Full Day Shared - 10 driving sections
• Approximately two hours individual drive time in total
• Half day morning session as above
• After lunch you will tackle more advanced sections of the circuits
• Practice failed hill reverse techniques, negotiate cross ruts, steeper inclines and declines, muddy ground and weather permitting water!
• Experience the black runs such as The Screamer, The Gully and The Twister
1:1 Half Days and Full days: if you choose the 1:1 versions, there's no waiting and you will cover the same number of driving sections, but will have time to drive sections more than once. You'll be driving for the majority of the session with no sharing.
What Can I Expect
Combine gears with a ratio of fun when you drive a 4x4 in Gloucestershire on these Wye Valley off roading sessions! A fleet of Land Rovers and Range Rovers is lined up and ready to tackle the unique tracks and trails of this quarry-based training centre. Let’s see if you can make the grade behind the wheel…
Whitecliff 4x4 is headed up by Borda and Lantra qualified Geraldine, alongside Bryn and a team of instructor drivers all ready and waiting to teach you the ins and outs of off-roading. It’s a great place to learn too, as this is a former stone quarry just outside the town of Coleford that closed in the mid 1980s and as you can imagine, the place is filled with rough and rugged terrain that’s the ideal playground for these equally rugged 4x4 vehicles.
The way 4x4 experiences at this Gloucestershire base are organised ensures all participants get in-depth training on off road techniques and gives a real insight into what these Landys and Range Rovers can do. After a classroom briefing you’ll head out on site where each section is walked before being tackled in the vehicle. This method means you can physically see what you’ve got to do before executing the manoeuvre from a driving position where often you can’t even see the obstacle once you’ve approached it!
We are offering these 4x4 courses as either shared small group or exclusive one to one experiences. If you go for the group camaraderie of the half day shared session, you will be tackling a variety of different off road sections of this Coleford course, taking it in turns in the 4WD vehicle. And when you’re not driving, you’ll be on the sidelines watching the action. Upgrading to the full day shared sees you working your way around 10 sections of this quarry site.
Our one to one 4x4 Gloucestershire courses are fully adapted to you and with loads of driving time, you will cover the same six sections on the half day and those 10 on the full day, but you’ll have the chance to repeat sections and even tackle them from the opposite direction to mix it up just that little bit more to test your motoring skills to the max.
• Weekdays and Saturdays throughout the year
• Dates are subject to availability and weather conditions
• Arrival time for courses is 9.30 am, lunch is at approximately 1pm and half day customers finish after that. Full days finish at around 4.30pm
• Minimum age 17
• A full valid driving licence is required
• One spectator per driver is welcome at no additional charge
• Under 16s are not permitted on site
• Spectators for the shared experiences are not permitted to ride in the vehicles
• Spectators for 1:1 experiences may ride in the vehicles for an additional charge of £30 payable when booking your date, subject to selecting a vehicle with front facing rear seats
• Lunch can be provided for spectators for an additional charge of £10 payable when booking your date
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Whitecliff Quarry, Coleford, Gloucestershire