• Welcome, introduction and short safety talk
• Drive competition prepared off road trials vehicles based on a Land Rover chassis
• Tuition from experienced guides to help you navigate the course
• The purpose built course is packed with 90 degree banks, mud pits and slopes and natural obstacles
• You will alternate between driving and riding as a passenger throughout the session
Half Day 4x4 Session
• Approximately 1.5 hours of personal drive time
• Sessions start at 10.00am finishing around 1.00pm
• Light refreshments are provided
Full Day 4x4 Session
• 1.5 hour personal drive time during the morning session
• One hour lunch break
• Further 2 hours personal drive time in the afternoon
• Sessions start at 10.00am finishing around 4.00pm
• Light refreshments and lunch are provided
What Can I Expect
Prepare yourself for proper offroading in Wales! This part of South Wales was pretty much made for 4x4 experiences like these. You’ll be on Ty Rhiw Farm in Taff Wells, which has the perfect mix of trees, farmland and hills to show off these trials 4x4s to the very best of their capabilities.
The terrain at this centre in-land from Cardiff is as tough as the vehicles you’ll be in. We’re talking fully-prepped off roaders that started life as standard Land Rovers, before being modified to become competition-standard trials vehicles. And in fact, these 4x4s have competed in many an actual trials comp. They’re also really rugged, so don’t worry about bashing that tree root, or splashing that Welsh mud right up the sides and onto the seats - it’s all par for the course when you’re off road trialling in Wales!
And we have to say, when a 4x4 experience supplier starts off by telling us ‘a decent pair of boots and rain jacket that you don’t mind getting muddy are essential’, we think that’s a definite sign it’s going be a great 4x4 experience in Wales.
And admittedly, it often rains in South Wales, but that’s an advantage for these 4x4ing sessions. Again, this offroading school tells us that if it’s snowing they don't faff around, they just get the tyres changed on the 4x4s and get out there. And in their words, if it’s raining, it’s just ‘muddy good fun’.
Remember, these are modified vehicles, so we’re talking full roll cages, open sides and a pretty basic interior. Forget head rests, leather consoles, walnut inserts and the SatNavs that you might associate some Chelsea Tractors with. This is back to basics offroading in Wales as its best, hence the high probability of you getting a little mud-splattered.
What’s more, it’s all-action all the way, because when you’re not behind the wheel you’ll be a passenger, so it’s a fully immersive experience when you choose Taff Wells for offroading in Wales. It’s rugged terrain right on the edge of the Fforest Fawr and the Taff Trail, so expect your 4x4 session to be pretty wild and out there.
• Selected Saturdays throughout the year
• Groups of 6 or more can be accommodated on alternative days of the week
• Participants should arrive 20 minutes prior to the start time
• Suitable for beginners and experienced drivers alike
• A driving licence is not required although due to the technical nature of the activity it is recommended
• No minimum age but drivers must be over 1.5m tall
• Under 18s must be accompanied on site by an adult who will need to sign a disclaimer
• Spectators are welcome to come and view at their own risk
• There are numerous look out points sit and watch the action, although you must be prepared to walk over rough terrain to some places
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Suitable outdoor clothing and sturdy footwear should be worn
• Drinks and snacks can be purchased on site
• Onsite toilets are available
• Drones can be used by prior consent only, go-pros can be added to trucks at their own risk
• Taff Well, Cardiff