Don’t get yourself in a flap - you’ve found falconry at IntotheBlue! These falconry experience days give you the chance to get up close and appreciate those incredible eyes, those sharp claws, that brightly coloured beak and those gorgeous feathers at close quarters - with plenty of opportunity to take photos of your feathered friends too.
You’ll also meet the falconers who run these experiences all over the UK and they are all really enthusiastic about their falconry work. Indeed their dedication to the sport is infectious and it is amazing to see the working relationship between raptor and falconer first hand. Nothing can beat the first time a majestic bird of prey swoops in to land on your gloved hand and all experiences include bird handling and flying. Read more...
• Falconry at a farm shop & park nr Abingdon in Oxon • Tour the aviaries & mews, fly & handle the birds • Centre run by Sharon & James houses 90+ raptors • A variety of family-friendly experiences offered
• Enjoy a hawk hike or an owl ramble in Kent • Experiences take place at Groombridge Place Estate • Spend time at this long-established raptor centre • Experiences limited to just two people per session
• A range of falconry experiences in Shrewsbury • Lots of hands-on time handling & flying the birds • Exclusive access - this centre not open to public • Plenty of time to take photos of the raptors too
• A two-hour falconry experience in Nottinghamshire • Hosted by knowledgable & entertaining falconers • This is a family-run collection with a passionate team • Meet, handle and fly several species of raptors
• Falconry at Risley Garden Centre estate in Derbys • Learn from host Bob Morley & his talented team • Witness hunting & flying & go on walks with birds • Tasters to in-depth falconry sessions available
• Choose between Tavistock or Okehampton venues • Both idyllic locations on the edge of Dartmoor Pk • Go hawk walking, watch free-flying displays & more • Lessons run in groups of up to 4 budding falconers
• Falconry lessons at Llangarron nr Ross on Wye • Hosted by Mike Hill head trainer & centre manager • Swing lures for falcons, fly owls and much more! • Hawk walks to see birds flying in natural habitats
• Private falconry collection not open to the public • Feel like part of the family as you learn falconry • Experience takes place in Fife nr Kirkcaldy • Head out in a Land Rover to fly falcons & eagles
• Falconry at Greetham Valley Golf Course & Hotel • Owl experiences & full/half day falconry sessions • Lots of hands-on time handling & flying the birds • Lovely rolling Rutland countryside to explore
• Meet and fly owls near Eastbourne in East Sussex • Experiences run as private bookings just for you • Vouchers for one, two, three or four people offered • Indoor & outdoor arenas for flying in any weather
• Photograph birds of prey at at falconry centre • You will be given unrivalled access to the raptors • Staff assist with the birds so you get the shots • Snap birds in flight, in hunting mode & portraits
Take a walk on the wild side at falconry centres all over the UK
When it comes to handling these birds of prey, it’s understandable that you could be a little bit nervous beforehand. These are ferocious hunters and you’ll be forgiven for wondering if you’re going to get a little nip from that sharp beak. But we have to say, raptors that are fully trained are totally used to being around humans, which means you can, having listened to the safety briefing, approach these wonderful birds with confidence.
What we love about these experiences is that not only do you get to properly meet the likes of falcons, hawks, eagles and owls getting close enough to be able to see your own reflection in their beady eyes, you also learn lots about their natural habits and habitat. It’s fascinating to find out how they can be trained to interact with their handler and how the relationship develops in the wild as they go hunting for their quarry, as you can see from this birds of prey day video in Kent.
Exclusive access to the falconer’s collection of raptors
Many of the falconry venues featured aren't normally open to the public, so our experiences give you exclusive access, be it part of a small group or a private booking where it’s just you on a one to one basis with the falconer and their birds. Most aviaries are home to a great many different species. After being introduced to the handlers, your hosts for the day, you will probably get a guided tour around the aviaries so you can have a first glimpse of the residents.
Plenty of hands-on time with the birds of prey
As we said, these sessions aren't just about visiting these clawed creatures, the experiences are run to be very practical, with plenty of chance for you to 'have a go' at things like weighing and feeding. What's more you will be shown how to fly them to your gloved hand and, in many cases, go on a 'walk' with a hawk or two, so you can see them at work in the countryside in hunting mode. And believe us its very impressive when watching them tuck back those wings and swoop down onto their target.
Whether it’s a taster session for all the family (little ones love the cute as a button baby owls!) or a full day course for someone interested in rearing, training and flying their own falcon, we’ve got the full range of falconry experiences at wildlife centres, outdoor activity centres and private aviaries all over the UK. And if you want to bring friends or family along, most places ask a small charge that is payable locally, but it does mean they will also get to join in and learn a lot too, without actually flying the raptors.