• Handle and fly a selection of birds of prey
• Plenty of photo opportunities
• One hour bird handling experience
• Options include handling and flying owls, a selection of birds of prey or a walk across the countryside with a hawk
• Two and a half hour experience
• Handle and fly up to 5 species of birds of prey or opt for an extended hawk walk in the surrounding countryside
• Full day bird of prey experience
• Light lunch is included
• Handle and fly a selection of the birds of prey (Eagles and Vultures may be available for adult handling only)
What Can I Expect
Family-run falconry in Surrey! Birds of prey and falconry is a way of life for this Surrey family and their mission is to share their passion through displays, educational events and these experience days which take place on private farms in and around Dorking and Godstone.
We’re offering a trio falconry sessions in Surrey, starting with the one-hour taster, then the half day and finally the full-day experience. The ‘Rangle’ (which refers to the teeny stones fed to birds of prey to aid digestion) is perfect for all ages, as it gives you an insight into the world of birds, with plenty of time to meet and fly several species too within your one-hour session.
By far the most popular (and with the most recognisable name too!) is the half day ‘Gauntlet’ experience. This is, of course, referring to the gloves that falconers wear to handle the birds when they land on their hand. But did you know there are usually different lengths for different birds? A falcon glove tends to cover the hand and the wrist, whilst hawking gloves are usually longer. And whilst it os obviously there to protect you from those beaks and claws, it also serves as a perch.
Then there’s the ‘Yarak’ full day falconry experience here in Surrey. A bird ‘at yarak’ means they are in peak condition both physically and mentally, making it a formidable hunter. The day gives you the most in-depth look at the work of a falconer on a day to day basis.
Indeed every bird has its own character. Take for example Bamu, the cheeky African Spotted Eagle Owl who loves to plane watch (these Surrey farms are under the Gatwick flight path!), so much so that he has been known to fall backwards off his perch!
Theming these falconry days in Surrey means you could be flying British species such as Peregrines, Kestrels and Buzzards, meeting the Owls, or concentrating on native American birds. In all cases, you’ll get to fly a variety of birds, with up to five different species to meet on your day. Alternatively, you can go for a Hawk walk as the focus of your one-hour or half day experience.
• Selected weekdays and weekends between February and November
• Dates and session times are subject to availability and weather conditions
• Full day experiences generally start at 10am finishing around 4pm
• 'Rangle' Minimum age 5 (12 for hawk walk)
• 'Gauntlet' & 'Yarak' Minimum age 12 (18 for Yarak with Eagles and Vultures)
• Under 16s must be accompanied by a participating or spectating adult
• Up to 2 adult spectators per booking are welcome to attend for an additional charge, payable when booking your date
Current spectator charge
• Rangle: £5pp
• Gauntlet: £10pp
• Yarak: £20pp
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Experiences take place at various locations around Dorking or Godstone
• Directions will be provided when booking your date