• All experiences will begin with a welcome, short discussion on the history of falconry and introduction with the birds of prey
• Meet and greet with the owls
• Expert knowledge and guidance from a trained falconer
• Handle and fly a large variety of owls including British, Tawny, Barn, and Little owls along with non-native species including European Eagle, Siberian Eagle, Boobook, Snowy and Great Grey Owls
• Experiences last around one hour 30 minutes
• Hands on experience with Harris Hawks
• The hawks will fly free following you on the walk, swooping back to the fist when called
• Walks last approximately 45 minutes
• This experience lasts for 2 and a half hours
• Guidance from an expert handler
• Learn how to handle and fly a selection of birds
• Birds usually handled include Hawks, Owl, and Buzzards
• You will also have the opportunity to witness the agility and speed of a falcon
• Experiences last approximately two hours 30 minutes
What Can I Expect
Eagle-eyed bird enthusiasts will love these exclusive opportunities to learn falconry in Edinburgh! Meet and work with an impressive collection of birds of prey on a one-to-one basis in a stunning setting just outside Scotland’s capital and discover why these majestic birds hold such a time-honoured place in the hearts of their masters.
Dalhousie castle, build in the 13th century by the chieftains of Clan Ramsay, sits in 700 acres of Scottish woodland, providing the perfect backdrop for your falconry activity. This Edinburgh venue offers three different birds of prey display and handling experiences, with the Owl Encounter, the Hawk Walk and the more in-depth Ultimate Falconry vouchers, so there’s something to suit everyone on these family-friendly feathered days out.
Opting for the Owl Encounter, you'll learn about the habitats, hunting and behaviour of these ever-popular birds of prey from the experienced Edinburgh team. You’ll also get the chance to meet indigenous British species of owl such as the Tawny, Barn and Little Owls, as well as rarities like the Mexican Striped, European and Bengal Eagle and Boobook Owls. And for any hopeful witches and wizards out there, you can handle the Snowy and Grey Owls made popular by the Harry Potter books!
The Hawk Walk does just that. You will head off for a stroll with your falconer and get to see the hawks deftly weaving in and out of the trees. These magnificent birds are commonly referred to as the 'wolves of the sky' as they’re the only birds of prey to hunt in packs and here you’ll be able to appreciate their skill to the full by observing them doing just that in their natural habitat.
The Ultimate bird of prey voucher offers an all-encompassing falconry experience at this Edinburgh centre that will have you enthralled with a short history of the birds, as well as offering plenty of time to enjoy close encounters with the likes of hawks, owls and buzzards. Admire the agility and speed of the falcons and feel the thrill of having a raptor fly to your gloved hand.
All in all, the Dalhousie team provides an excellent range of activities, offering lots of 'hands on' time with these beautiful raptors and all on an one to one basis, so you won’t be part of a group. You can choose to share your experience with loved ones, as two spectators are permitted to follow you through your introduction to falconry near Edinburgh, or book a voucher for up to six for an exclusive group experience.
• Experiences run on a pre-booked basis and dates can be made available upon request
• Minimum age 9
• Under 16s must be accompanied by a participating or spectating adult
• A maximum of 2 spectators per participants are permitted
• A fee of £15 per person will apply and is payable on the day of the experience
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• There is a relaxing lounge area onsite serving tea and coffee as well as a bistro serving meals and snacks
• There is a gift shop onsite
• These experiences take place in the stunning grounds of the Dalhousie Castle Hotel in Bonnyrigg
• Approximately 8 miles from the centre of Edinburgh