'Beachy Head' Spitfire Flight
• A 45 minute flight experience in the rear seat of a combat veteran MKIX Two Seater Spitfire (10 Minutes for preparation, taxiing and pre-flight checks and approximately 35 minutes airborne)
'White Cliffs of Dover' Spitfire Flight
• A 55 minute flight experience in the rear seat of a combat veteran MKIX Two Seater Spitfire (10 Minutes for preparation, taxiing and pre-flight checks and approximately 45 minutes airborne)
All Spitfire Flights also include:
• Access to the Biggin Hill Heritage Hangar for you and up to four guests
• A detailed pre-flight briefing covering the aircraft, equipment and in flight safety procedures
• Take off from Ex RAF Spitfire Station Biggin Hill and fly over Kent's 'Battle of Britain Country'
• Feel and experience the effects of your hands on the controls (at the pilots discretion)
• All flights include the opportunity to do Victory Rolls and other aerobatic manoeuvres
• Hear radio commentary from your pilot, air traffic control and ground crew
• In flight video recording of the flight on SD card / USB stick
• Flight debrief and opportunity to take photographs with the aircraft
• Framed souvenir flight certificate, flight suit patch and pilot notes to take home
• Helmet, flight suit and parachute are provided for the flight
• Allow spending up to four hours at the venue
What Can I Expect
Could these be the ultimate Spitfire flights? You will be the sole passenger on these coastal Spitfire flights. You'll head over the White Cliffs or Beachy Head, following the exact same flight path many a Battle of Britain fighter pilot would have done. Prepare yourself for a truly epic experience in the legendary Spitfire.
There are two itineraries to choose from. The White Cliffs of Dover Spitfire flights give aviators a 55 minute flying experience time, with 45 airborne, while the Beachy Head Spitfire flight offers a 45 minute total time and 35 minutes in the air. Both coastal Spitfire flight paths are steeped in history.
You’ll be departing from Biggin Hill Airport in Kent, home to one of the principal fighter bases for Spitfires during the Battle of Britain. It's a fitting departure point for these ultimate Spitfire flights, as you head south towards the coastline.
On the Beachy Head tour, you’ll fly to this well-known peninsula between Bexhill and Brighton with its RAF Bomber Command Memorial. It’s emotive stuff flying over Beachy Head in a Spitfire. As the inscription carved into the clifftop memorial explains: “Beachy Head was the major operational route outbound from the UK for the airmen of RAF Bomber Command when taking the war to the enemy.”
Whilst you circle in the air in your Spitfire, thoughts of those young fighter pilots are bound to fill your mind. As the memorial poignantly reminds us: “For many, Beachy Head would have been their last sight of England. Remember them.”
On the White Cliffs Spitfire flights you’ll head over the Kentish Downs towards Dover and those famous white chalk cliffs that stand proud 500ft above the English Channel. Picturesque doesn’t even begin to describe this corner of the world. Put a stunning Spitfire into this backdrop and it’s even more impressive. And you’ll be able to watch it all back after your flights, as both of these ultimate Spitfire packages include on-board digital video footage for you to keep.
Your White Cliffs itinerary will also include Capel-le-Ferne, where the Battle of Britain Memorial Centre is. The focal point here is the statue of the anonymous airman sitting looking out to sea. Carved out of White Cliffs chalk stone, sculptor Harry Gray has created a wonderful centre piece that is stunning in its simplicity and yet so moving in its context. From the air the statue takes on another allure, as you can clearly see the blades of the carved propellor set into the ground.
Emotional, intense, evocative and amazing. Both our White Cliffs Spitfire flights and the Beachy Head Spitfire flights really are the ultimate experience for fans of this iconic aircraft, as you fly as the fighter pilots would have flown in World War Two.
• Flights generally operate Tuesday to Sunday between March and November
• Sessions usually run at 08.00, 10.00 and 12.00 with later flights also available in the summer months
• All Flights and routes are subject to weather conditions, aircraft serviceability and air traffic
• MK IX 2 Seater Spitfire MJ627 / G-BMSB is normally used for flights however the operator reserves the right to use other two seat Spitfires
• Flying in a Spitfire carries certain elements of risk which will be clearly explained prior to your flight, on the day you'll also be shown a detailed video explaining these risks, if you decide not to proceed or cannot fit safely inside the cockpit you can exchange your experience or request a refund
• Minimum age is 18
• There's no maximum age limit however you need to be healthy and agile enough to climb into the aircraft and safely experience the dynamic nature of the flight - if you have any concerns over your suitability you should consult your GP
• You should not participate if you are on prescription medication, suffering from a cold, are pregnant or suffering from any condition affecting your breathing or consciousness
• A maximum weight limit of 108 kilos (238 lb) applies and you will be weighed on the day
• The aircraft can usually accommodate passengers up to 6'6"
• Passengers dimensions must allow unrestricted movement of the control column
• The operator reserves the right to refuse the flight if for any reason they feel you are unsuitable to participate
• Please do not drink alcohol prior to the flight
• Up to 4 guests can join you to enjoy access to the Heritage Hangar and observe the engine start up and shut down of the aircraft
• Sorry - no pets allowed
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• This activity is fully approved by the CAA as a flight experience
• You may be able to extend the duration of your flight directly with the operator, additional charges will apply
• Hand held cameras are not permitted however on-board video recordings of the flight are taken (content of video recordings cannot be guaranteed). customers can usually attach their own 'go-pro' style cameras with appropriate mounts, subject to approval
• You and your guests may be joining a small group of other VIP visitors on the day
• Pre flight briefings are usually delivered as part of a small group, all flights are conducted exclusively 1:1
• You should wear clothing suitable for fitting beneath a flight suit and sturdy footwear e.g. boots or training shoes, leather soled shoes are not suitable
• Biggin Hill is also home to St Georges RAF Chapel of Remembrance, entrance is free and makes a fantastic addition to your day (opening times vary)
• Additional bespoke flight options can be arranged e.g another guest flying alongside in formation with the Spitfire or exclusive celebrations or corporate events. Please contact us with your requirements
• Flights depart from The historic ex WW2 RAF Spitfire base at Biggin Hill Airport in Kent
• The airport is easily reached from London and the M25
• Flights depart from Biggin Hill Airport and over 'Battle of Britain' country down to the South coast where you'll fly over Beachy Head or the White Cliffs of Dover depending on your selected flight option