• A detailed pre-flight briefing covering the aircraft, equipment and in flight safety procedures
• A 30 minute flight experience in the rear seat of a Two seater Spitfire (approximately 20 minutes airborne)
• Access to the Biggin Hill Heritage Hangar for up to three guests
• Q+A session with the hangar team with close up access to the aircraft being restored
• Take off from Ex RAF Spitfire Station Biggin Hill and fly over Kent's 'Battle of Britain Country'
• Feel and experience the effects of your hands on the controls (at the pilots discretion)
• All flights include the opportunity to do Victory Rolls and other manoeuvres
• Hear radio commentary from your pilot, air traffic control and ground crew
• In flight video recording of the flight on SD card / USB stick
• Flight debrief and opportunity to take photographs with the aircraft
• Framed souvenir flight certificate, flight suit patch and pilot notes to take home
• Helmet, flight suit and parachute are provided for the flight
• Allow spending up to four hours at the venue
Extended flights over Beachy Head and The White Cliffs of Dover are also available
What Can I Expect
Two seater Spitfire flights are now a reality! Following changes in the CAA (Civil Aviation Authority) rules these Biggin Hill Spitfire flights mean the impossible is now possible, thanks to this very special T9 Spitfire that will be operating tandem flights from this legendary airport that was one of the principal fighter bases in the Battle of Britain.
We are very proud to be able to offer these incredible experiences. We often talk of 'once in a lifetime' opportunities, but these two seater Spitfire flights really do fall into that category. Of course, with high running and maintenance costs on these classic warbirds, our tandem Spitfire flights aren't cheap, but can you put a price on aviation heaven?
So what about the Spitfire you'll be flying in? Well, two seater Spitfires are incredibly rare. Over 20,000 single seat Spitfires were built with only a few dozen remaining airworthy today. Supermarine did come up with the concept of a two seater training version of the plane, but none were ever ordered and only one was built. But there followed several instances of 'unofficial' conversions, so after the Second World War Supermarine launched the idea again and a handful of Mark IX Spitfires were converted into two seaters, called TR9s.
Resplendent in her invasion stripes, G-BMSB (serial number MJ627, code Q-9G) was owned by Maurice and Peter Bayliss for many years before being bought by RV Aviation Ltd. This plane has an amazing log book, having flown numerous ground attack, bomber escort and patrol missions during the war including being credited with the downing of an enemy Messerschmitt Bf 109 on September 27th 1944. After being damaged and put into storage the aircraft was bought by Vickers Armstrong in 1950, MJ627 was one of the Spitfires converted to a tandem and sent to the Irish Air Corps before retiring in 1960. The Bayliss family breathed life into the old girl when she was fully restored and took to the skies again in 1993, exactly 50 years since she first flew.
Imagine what it'll be like to sit under your bubble canopy in the rear cockpit, waiting with bated breath as the Merlin engine kicks into life. All we can say is that we're pretty sure the date you got to fly in a TR9 Spitfire over the famous RAF chapel of Biggin Hill and through the Kentish skies will be indelibly inscribed in your mind and your heart for ever.
• Flights generally operate Tuesday to Sunday between March and November,
• Sessions usually start at 08.00 and 12.00
• Other bespoke dates may be arranged but may be subject to an additional fee
• All Flights and routes are subject to weather conditions, aircraft serviceability and air traffic
• Aircraft MJ627 / G-BMSB is normally used for flights however the operator reserves the right to use other two seat Spitfires
• Flying in a Spitfire carries certain elements of risk which will be clearly explained prior to your flight, on the day you'll also be shown a detailed video explaining these risks, if you decide not to proceed or cannot fit safely inside the cockpit you can exchange your experience or request a refund
• Minimum age is 18
• There's no maximum age limit however you need to be healthy and agile enough to climb into the aircraft and safely experience the dynamic nature of the flight - if you have any concerns over your suitability you should consult your GP
• You should not participate if you are on prescription medication, suffering from a cold, are pregnant or suffering from any condition affecting your breathing or consciousness
• A maximum weight limit of 108 kilos (238 lb) applies and you will be weighed on the day
• The aircraft can usually accommodate passengers up to 6'6"
• Passengers dimensions must allow unrestricted movement of the control column
• The operator reserves the right to refuse the flight if for any reason they feel you are unsuitable to participate
• Please do not drink alcohol prior to the flight
• Up to 3 guests can join you to enjoy access to the Heritage Hangar and observe the engine start up and shut down of the aircraft
• Sorry - no pets allowed
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• This activity is fully approved by the CAA as a flight experience
• You may be able to extend the duration of your flight directly with the operator, additional charges will apply
• Hand held cameras are not permitted however on-board video recordings of the flight are taken (content of video recordings cannot be guaranteed). customers can usually attach their own 'go-pro' style cameras with appropriate mounts, subject to approval
• You and your guests may be joining a small group of other VIP visitors on the day
• Pre flight briefings are usually delivered as part of a small group, all flights are conducted exclusively 1:1
• You should wear clothing suitable for fitting beneath a flight suit and sturdy footwear e.g. boots or training shoes, leather soled shoes are not suitable
• Biggin Hill is also home to St Georges RAF Chapel of Remembrance, entrance is free and makes a fantastic addition to your day (opening times vary)
• Additional bespoke flight options can be arranged e.g another guest flying alongside in formation with the Spitfire or exclusive celebrations or corporate events. Please contact us with your requirements
• The historic ex WW2 RAF Spitfire base at Biggin Hill Airport in Kent
• The airport is easily reached from London and the M25