• A steam train lite lunch onboard 'Diana' the 1930s themed dining coach
• A two course meal
• Full waitress service aboard the first class dining coach
• Enjoying fabulous scenery travelling through countryside for over 20 miles
• Free travel for the remainder of the day
• Full bar facilities are available on board
What Can I Expect
The next departure from Froghall station is the stream train lite lunch experience! Hosted by the lovely ladies and gents of the Churnet Valley Railway, you’ll be enjoying a two-course meal, whilst travelling the length of this lovely little heritage railway.
Your voyage will be on board the ‘Diana’ dining car. She was named after Diana Clementson, a former firefighter who volunteered at Churnet Valley. She was a much-loved and well-respected lady who made a very generous legacy to the railway, so naming the carriage after her is a lovely gesture.
As soon as you climb aboard you’ll feel like you’re stepping back in time to when steam was the way to travel. The carriage has been lovingly restored to reflect the styles and textures of the 1930s and it really is rather lovely. The big armchair seats are so comfy and the table is all nicely set up for your lite lunch. This is just what steam travel should be like!
Your lite lunch steam train departs at 12:35 sharp from the Froghall Station and returns (after a full round trip) at 13:40. During that time you’ll be able to sit back and relax as you watch the Staffordshire countryside go by and enjoy your lunch, which will be served at your table. It’s classic pub grub style for your lite bite, with the menu including such dishes as a luxury fish sandwich, cured meat platter, pesto pasta or a goat’s cheese tart.
Lunch wouldn’t lunch (even when it’s a lite one) without dessert. So tuck into something delicious like a crumble or cheesecake. You can even pay a little supplement and sample a plate of local cheeses. And why not add a little tot of Port to wash it all down rather nicely? Which brings us neatly to the fact that the steam train boasts a fully-licensed bar, so you can order a beer or wine to accompany your lite lunch.
All that remains for you to do it round everything off with a cup of tea or freshly brewed coffee (hot drinks are also available from the bar), as you roll back into Froghall. And of course, your steam train lite lunch ticket gives you unlimited access to ride scheduled Churnet services, so you can spend all day discovering rural Staffordshire by steam train.
• The train departs from Froghall Station at 12:35 returning at 13:40
• Selected Saturdays and Sundays throughout the year, usually with at least one date each month
• Due to the popularity of this experience please book well in advance to avoid disappointment
• Participants must book a date for their experience within 6 months from the date of purchase
• Minimum age 8
• Under 18s must be accompanied by a participating adult
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• The supplier cannot guarantee the specific departure time of trains and reserves the right to cancel or alter a train in the case of mechanical issues
• Due to the heritage design and style of the dining coach, there are a limited number of tables for two, with remaining tables being tables for four
• Guarantee a table for two (subject to availability) by paying an additional charge when booking your date
• Churnet Valley Railway, Froghall, Staffordshire