• A steam train lunch for two people
• A three course meal followed by tea, coffee and mints
• Full waitress service aboard the first class dining coach
• Enjoying fabulous scenery travelling through countryside for over 22 miles
• Free travel for the remainder of the day
• Full bar facilities are available on board
What Can I Expect
Fancy a nice lunch at the Churnet Valley Railway? It's all aboard the 12:35pm departure for a tasty Saturday or Sunday luncheon onboard a historic and beautifully restored steam train that'll be choo-chooing along the track whilst you tuck in.
Usually when you've got a train to catch it's always a bit of stress making sure you get to the station in time, not forgetting your tickets and walking the whole length of the train to see if there's a free seat. Well, you'll be pleased to hear it's much more welcoming and friendly at the Churnet Valley Railway and you will not only have a large, comfy armchair style seat, but a fully set table too!
You are heartily invited to arrive before your lunch train departs so you can have a meander around Kingsley & Froghall station. The Victorian station building and waiting room is truly lovely and very authentic, but is in fact a reproduction re-built and then lovingly finished off and furnished by the Churnet Valley Railway's dedicated volunteers, as the original was raised to the ground soon after the train line closed.
Just before 12:35 you'll be invited to board your train by the steward. The steam locomotive will be stoked up ready to go and the onboard waiting team will be on hand to show you to your table. The 'Moorlander' dining car has been beautifully restored and offers first class accommodation - right down to flower arrangements and linen table cloths. They don't do lunch by halves at this wonderful railway through the Churnet Valley, that's for sure!
Your menu is very much a traditional meal, with a soup to start and roast beef with all the trimmings to follow. Dessert is home-made and rounded off with tea and coffee. All courses are served at your table, leaving you to chat and gaze out of the window at the ever-changing Churnet Valley scenery as you rumble gently along the railway tracks.
We think riding the Churnet Valley Railway lunch train is the perfect weekend activity for all the family. A good, freshly-cooked meal combines with the glamour of the golden age of steam travel and stunning Staffordshire countryside views, to make for a tantalisingly tasty railway experience. All aboard the lunch time departure!
• The train departs from Froghall Station at 12:35 sharp returning to Froghall Station at approximately 14:30
• Selected Saturdays and Sundays throughout the year, usually with at least one date each month
• Due to the popularity of this experience please book well in advance to avoid disappointment
• Participants must book a date for their experience within 6 months from the date of purchase
• Minimum age 14
• Under 18s must be accompanied by a participating adult
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• The supplier cannot guarantee the specific departure time of trains and reserves the right to cancel or alter a train in the case of mechanical issues
• Seating is generally on tables accommodating up to 4 people. To guarantee a table for two a 3rd voucher must be purchased and you will be seated on a table 4 four with no other guests
• Churnet Valley Railway, Cheddleton, Staffordshire