• The climbing takes place on outdoor rock faces
• Safety briefing and introduction to the basics of climbing
• Learn the technique of traversing to learn hand and foot placement
• Climb both low and higher rock faces as you learn
• Round off the day with an introduction to abseiling
• You should allow a full day for this experience
• Maximum group size of 12 to each instructor
• All safety equipment including a harness and helmet are provided
What Can I Expect
Take to the Welsh mountains when you go rock climbing in South Wales! Find your feet on the rock faces of the Brecon Beacons and learn the basics of sport climbing from fully trained instructors, during this brilliantly action-packed day out that takes place way up high in the hills.
Escaping to experience the outdoor life is increasingly becoming a priority in our rushed, busy lives and rock climbing is a real 'back to basics' sport, which really makes you feel at one with the beautiful scenery and challenges that nature can throw at you. These rock ascents offer the perfect introduction to climbing, with the breathtaking backdrop of South Wales to spur you onwards and upwards.
As this experience is aimed at those with little or no climbing experience, the activity starts with a safety briefing and introduction to using the harnesses and ropes, as well as touching on the sort of knots climbers use. Once kitted out with a helmet and harness, you’ll be taught the basics of climbing techniques - from bouldering and traversing the rock, to being aware of hand and foot positions and how important they are. You’ll also be shown the skills required for the abseiling descent to get you back down to earth without a bump.
The afternoon session ensures you have plenty of opportunities to try out and develop the basic rock climbing skills learnt that morning. The South Wales team is always on hand to help out and before you know it you will be tackling higher, more complex climbs and abseiling back down with ease. And believe us, nothing can prepare you for that 'on top of the world' feeling when you conquer your first climbing challenge!
This sensational scramble is great for those wanting to discover climbing and South Wales is the perfect location, combining spectacular mountain venues with a full range of rock climbing routes.
• Available from May to October on weekdays and weekends
• All sessions are subject to weather conditions
• Full days usually start at 9:15 and end around 16:30
• The minimum age for the climbing experience is 8 years
• Anyone under the age of 16 must be signed in by a parent or guardian
• Children will not be mixed with adult climbing groups, unless you are a family group
• There is no upper age or height restrictions, but please bear in mind this is quite a physical activity
• Weight limit of 18 stone
• Spectators are welcome to watch at the climbing site, but must be at a safe distance and children must be supervised at all times as safety is paramount
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Facilities at the activity centre base include refreshment machines, toilets and changing areas
• The centre can also assist with finding suitable overnight accommodation for clients
• The rocks are approx a 40 minute drive from the activity centre
• Mini bus transport is provided, however this is a complimentary service and can not be guaranteed
• Sessions take place within the Brecon Beacons National Park