• Drive a replica 1960's Ford GT40
• Choose from a 3 or 6 mile experience
• Welcome introduction and safety briefing
• Fully qualified instructors are there to give advice
• Allow at least one hour on site
What Can I Expect
Drive a GT40 and get into the ‘Le Mans 66’ endurance motor racing spirit! This wonderful car is a faithful replica of the Ford GT40s that won the Le Mans 24 hour race in 1966, 1967, 1968 and 1969 - and this is your chance to drive it.
The story of this formidable car is told in the hit 2019 film ‘Le Mans 66’ starring Matt Damon as Carroll Shelby and Christian Bale as Ken Miles. The plot is based on motoring folklore. Henry Ford II was negotiating to buy Ferrari in the early 1960s. Enzo Ferrari wanted to be head of the motorsport division of the newly merged company, but Ford refused. Before you know it, Enzo had gone with Fiat. The deal was off and Ford promised to take Ferrari on at their own game by producing a race-winning long distance car with Shelby as the designer and Miles as the driver.
That car was the Ford GT40. The GT bit is for Grand Touring, whilst the 40 bit is a reference to the 40-inch height of the car - the very lower limit of the racing rules. The car snatched the Le Mans title from rivals Ferrari, but not without plenty of drama, as the film depicts.
This GT40 in classic Gulf power blue and burnt orange is the living image of that car and has been built in the true spirit of this iconic car, right down to the chassis and the engine. This GT40 drives just like the real thing, but doesn't cost several million pounds. This really is the nearest thing you will get to driving a real GT40.
Just getting in the thing can be quite a challenge, because of the large doors sills (as the fuel tanks are in there!) and you'll be sliding into a bucket seat that's just inches from the floor. And all the boot space is all taken up by the impressive V8 engine!
Press the start button and fire this beast into life. Don't expect a smooth take off from standing though, as the GT40 has a pretty heavy racing clutch, so you have to really commit to pulling away and give it some revs. And once you're on your way you'll realise it's a noisy, fast, hard and very uncomfortable ride - but that's what these racing thoroughbreds are all about isn't it?
These ‘Le Mans 66’ vouchers give you the chance to drive a GT40 for either three or six brilliantly bolshy miles at the venue of your choice. A pro instructor will be riding alongside you in the passenger seat to help you tame this motor racing brute from Ford. Just remember to keep those revs up!
• Selected weekdays and weekends throughout the year
• Sessions are available from 08:30 to 15:30
• Minimum age 17
• A full UK driving licence is required
• Under 18's must be accompanied by an adult
• Minimum height 4ft 5ins
• This is not suitable is you have suffered from back, neck or knee problems
• Spectators are welcome
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• All drivers on the day will have the option to pay a non-refundable £25 damage waiver which will cover them against any damage that may be caused to the vehicle(s) in the event of an incident
• Drivers who do not wish to take this waiver will need to sign a disclaimer and will need to be able to cover the cost on the day for any damage to the vehicle up to a maximum amount of £5000. Credit card details will need to be provided with £5000 limit or above for this reason. Debit cards are accepted however please be aware a pre-authorisation applies to debit cards to check funds are available
• Most venues are airfield style circuits with large run off areas
• Abingdon Airfield, Oxfordshire
• Bicester Circuit, Oxfordshire
• Bicester Heritage, Oxfordshire (Limited Availability)
• Blyton Park, Lincolnshire
• Bovington, Wareham, Dorset
• Honnington, Suffolk
• NAEC Stoneleigh, Warwickshire
• Perranporth Airfield, Cornwall (Annual Event)
• Sywell Aerodrome, Northampton
• Tibenham Circuit, Norfolk
• Tockwith, North Yorkshire
• Three Sisters, Wigan
Premium circuit upgrades available for a supplement, payable directly at the time of booking:
• Castle Combe (£25 upgrade supplement) Adults only
• Dunsfold Airfield, Surrey (£35 upgrade supplement) Limited availability
• All locations are subject to change