• Introduction and safety briefing in the original 1940's control tower
• Fly wing to wing with the spitfire in a 1940s de Havilland Dragon Rapide
• View the IWM Duxford's historic and rare aviation collection
• Actual flight time in the rapide is approx 30 minutes with the spitfire flying alongside for approx 15 minutes. All quoted flight times are chock to chock
• Souvenier photograph alongside the Spitfire
• Allow three hours for this experience, plus time to view the rest of the museum
For upgrades to this experience please see our 'Ultimate Wing To Wing Experience'
What Can I Expect
Calling all Spitfire fans to take part in these Duxford flights with a difference! This wonderful experience takes place at the historic ex-RAF base Duxford, the aerodrome that was home to the first Spitfire flying squadron and now houses IWM Duxford. A very appropriate venue indeed then for getting up close with a Spitfire on a very special flight!
The experience starts with a meet and greet in the original 1940s control tower where the itinerary for the day will be explained to you. You may find it hard to concentrate though, as Duxford is a working airfield, with many flights coming in and out each day, so you might see one of the Spitfire's contemporaries taking off, or a some interesting jet aircraft landing.
It's then time to depart from Duxford. Flights on the De Havilland Rapide to track your Spitfire are like stepping back in time to the birth of commercial aviation, as this was the first airliner of its type. Before pleasure and business flying really took off (excuse the pun!), this short haul biplane aircraft first built in the 1930s also had a role in WW2 carrying out passenger and communication duties, making it a highly appropriate plane for the job today! And so, as you climb above Duxford airfield on your 30 minute flight, the moment you will have been waiting with the Spitfire for arrives…
Yes, you will be in flight with a Duxford Spitfire for around 15 glorious minutes. From your truly privileged position inside the main cabin you will be able to watch, listen and photograph the Spitfire in elegant flight right next to you. The cabin configuration of the Rapide means that every passenger gets a window seat, so you will you all have plenty of opportunity to take some breathtaking photos of this iconic plane that, with Duxford, played such an important role in the Second World War.
After these Spitfire flights out of Duxford, you have the rest of the day to enjoy the plane collections and wander around the seven different exhibition hangars at IWM Duxford. Complimentary sameday entry to the museum is offered to all those who have been on these very special Duxford flights. You may also like to visit our main Spitfire flights section for more information.
• Flights take place on regular weekends from May to October
• All flights are weather dependent but don't worry if your flight is cancelled you can rebook for a convenient time
• Maximum weight 18 stone
• Maximum height 6'6"
• Under 16s must be accompanied on the airfield by an adult
• You may be in a small group of up to 8 people
• You are welcome to bring friends and family along however they will need to enter the museum to view the flight
• Your guests will enjoy a 50% reduced entry rate
• There's a cafe on site
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Voucher holders also get free entry to IWM Duxford with discounted entrance for accompanying friends and family
• A visit to Duxford is a day out in itself so leave plenty of time to look around
• Please note you do not get to fly in the Spitfire on this experience
• IWM Duxford, Cambridgeshire
• The venue is just off the M11 making it easily accessible from London