'Wing Commander' Package
• Introduction and safety briefing in the original 1940's Control Tower
• Fly wing to wing with the spitfire in a 1940s de Havilland Dragon Rapide
• Champagne toast in the control tower after your flight
• Take a close up ground viewing of the spitfire and rapide with the opportunity to photograph them
• Pose for a professional photograph of you beside the spitfire
• Meet the pilots to find out more about these historic aircraft
• Lunch in Wing Co Joe's Cafe
• View the IWM Duxford's historic and rare aviation collection
• Flight time in the rapide is approx 30 minutes with the spitfire flying alongside for approx 15 minutes. All quoted flight times are chock to chock
• Allow four hours for this experience, plus time to view the rest of the museum
'Air Commodore' Package
The ultimate wing to wing Spitfire package which includes all the content of the Wing Commander package, plus:
• Private guided tour of the Battle of Britain exhibition
• 20 min Flight in a Tiger Moth and the opportunity to take the controls
• Loan of leather helmet, jacket and goggles for the flight
• Signed logbook style record of your flight
• Personal DVD of your Tiger Moth flight
• Professional photo of you inside the Tiger Moth
• Presentation pack about the two aircraft including flight certificates, postcards and information on the aircraft, in a 1940's style folder
• Free entry to all public areas of IWM Duxford
What Can I Expect
Greet the pilots, meet the plane and fly with her on these luxury Spitfire flying packages! For these truly indulgent aviation experiences you will be heading to IWM Duxford in Cambridgeshire - a truly fascinating venue for any aviation fan, especially those with a passion for World War Two aircraft.
On both experiences you will have a very full itinerary for the day. The aircraft you will see and get up close to is the Spitfire MH434 Mk IXB, she now flies under her code name ZD-B and you'll hear all about her colourful flying life from when she was built by Vickers in 1943, to her preservation at the IWM today. Duxford is a very appropriate home, as it was the base of number 19 Squadron, the first to receive the R J Mitchell designed Spitfire aircraft to go flying - just as wartime loomed.
The main highlight of these very full packages has to be the moment you are sitting in the historic Dragon Rapide enjoying your flight , when suddenly you hear the unmistakable sound of that glorious Merlin engine - and then she comes into view. A splendid, genuine Second World War Spitfire is flying directly level with you making for a superb aerial show out of the window for around 15 minutes.
Once you've landed, the Spitfire flying made have ended, but the fun continues with a Champagne reception and ground tour of the Spitfire and the Dragon Rapide. This is when the pilots of these wonderful flying machines will be in attendance, so you can questions and find out just what it's like to pilot these magnificent vintage planes. You are also welcome to take photos during the tour, giving you a once in a lifetime chance to get some impressive close ups, as well as a posing for a professional photograph of you next to the Spitfire that is included. You will then head for a tasty lunch at Winco Joe's restaurant, after which you are free to explore the IWM Duxford.
If you decide to go for the Air Commodore version of these Spitfire flying experiences, you get the added bonus of a guided tour around the Battle of Britain exhibition, ops room and control tower, as well as an amazing flight in a Tiger Moth, another favourite wartime classic aircraft, along with a signed logbook and photo too. These Spitfire flying days at the very fine IWM Duxford are truly outstanding days out for those passionate about aviation.
• Flights take place on regular weekends from March to October
• All flights are weather dependent but don't worry if your flight is cancelled you can rebook for a convenient time
• Maximum weight 18 stone
• Under 16s must be accompanied on the airfield by an adult
• You may be in a small group of up to 8 people
• You are welcome to bring friends and family along however they will need to enter the museum to view the flight
• Your guests will enjoy a 50% reduced entry rate
• There's a cafe on site
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Voucher holders also get free entry to IWM Duxford with discounted entrance for accompanying friends and family
• A visit to Duxford is a day out in itself so leave plenty of time to look around
• IWM Duxford, Cambridgeshire
• The venue is just off the M11 making it easily accessible from London