• Three hour caving experience with professional instructors
• Explore one of the world's most magnificent caves
• This unique experience is a combination of caving, climbing, abseiling, crawling and walking
• All equipment and protective overalls are provided
• You will form part of a group of up to 7 participants
What Can I Expect
When you go down to Wookey Hole Caves it’s going to be a non-stop adventure workout like no other! You’ll be climbing, crawling, abseiling and walking your way around amazing underground caverns and caves on these half day cave adventure experiences!
Situated on the edge of the Mendip Hills, Wookey Hole is a series of limestone caves that have fascinated us humans for many thousands of years. With the help of expert guides, these experiences give you the chance to explore and conquer the caverns. It’s time to test your mettle on a Wookey Hole cave adventure.
So much more than just caving (or pot-holing as it is also known); this experience offers a truly unique and diverse sequence of activities to keep you moving and on your toes! There’s even a little boat ride over the River Axe to transfer you to some of the climbing you’ll be doing through crystal-lined passages. Via Ferrata is European-style climbing at its best, and there's plenty of it underground at Wild Wookey! Getting down is a case of abseiling, which is also great fun.
As you work your way through the caverns, various challenges will present themselves. You might find yourself on your hands and knees crawling through low openings, or doing a bit of scrambling to get to the next chamber. Your instructor will be there to show you the way, encourage you and ensure your safety at all times.
What’s interesting about these Wookey Hole Caves is that there is an underground river flowing down there. The subterranean River Axe runs right through the heart of this complex system of chambers. But fear not, you won’t be doing any swimming, diving or wading - there’s no immersion involved on these adventure outings, so you won’t be getting wet.
To go on these underground adventures in Wookey Hole Caves, you’ll need very sturdy walking boots or Wellingtons and fleece-type base layers. The caving instructors provide the harnesses, karabiners, helmets, head torches and overalls. All you need to bring in bucket loads is bravery and bit of gusto to be an underground adventurer in Wookey!
• Experiences operate on weekdays and weekends throughout the year
• Morning sessions start at 09:45 and afternoon sessions begin at 13:45
• Dates and session times are subject to availability
• Minimum age 14
• Height restrictions: minimum 153cm (5ft), maximum 198cm (6ft 6ins)
• Weight restrictions: min 40kg (6 stone 3lbs), maximum 105kg (16 stone)
• Maximum weight measurement 100cm (39.5ins)
• No previous experience of caving or climbing necessary
• A good general level of fitness and flexibility is required
• Not suitable for particpants suffering from whiplash, Epilepsy, heart conditions eg. Angina, knee, shoulder or ankle problems/previous sporting injuries (dislocations/fractures), prone to attacks of fainting, dizziness or blackouts, recent surgery or during pregnancy
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Suitable clothing that allows you to move freely should be worn (Jersey style or fleece, long sleeved tops and tracksuit/leggings are recommended)
• Jeans or shorts are not suitable
• Wellington boots or good fitting walking boots with grip are required
• Wookey Hole Caves, Wookey Hole, Wells, BA5