All experiences include handmade longbows and arrows crafted by talented bowyers and fletchers. Equipment and necessary PPE is provided.
Medieval Longbow Taster
• 30 minute safety briefing and instruction
• Learn correct stance for target and improve your consistency under our expert archers
• Medieval themed targets are set out at different distances to allow you to progress and achieve at your own pace
• Great for kids
• Please allow up to 2 hours on site
• Learn how to shoot "Victorian style" including stance, handling and release techniques
• Progress to learn "Medieval" archery and the principles of speed shooting
• Different draw weight bows will be available so you can progress
• Short and long range targets
• Please allow up to 3 hours on site
Medieval Longbow Experience
• Immersive experience where dressing up is encouraged
• Learn how to use an authentic longbow and the history behind it
• Bows for everyone of different draw weights
• Shoot accurately at both short and long distances
• A light lunch and refreshments are included
• Please allow up to 5 hours on site
What Can I Expect
Try your hand at Medieval archery and learn to shoot just like the King's archers in the days of the Hundred Years War! This is authentic and historic archery at its very best, with you being taught how to handle a hand-crafted longbow.
You've probably seen modern-day archery with a recurve bow on the telly (as it's an Olympic Sport) and you may have had a go at this form of archery. However, it's really quite unusual to find a centre that teaches traditional longbow archery, let alone specialise in the skill.
Tom and Adam, the duo behind these experiences are both very talented. Tom has been fashioning longbows and arrows for over 40 years and his handcrafted wooden bows made from solid staves of wood are works of art in themselves. This pain-staking attention to historic detail is because they want to offer the most authentic experiences possible. Indeed, one of the main activities here is historical re-enactments from the Hundred Wars period.
Being out 'in the field', as it were, is Adam's domaine. He loves nothing more than to introduce, captivate and motivate newcomers to the sport of traditional archery with longbows. He'll explain how and why a longbow behaves differently to recurves and give you all the top tips you could ever need in your mission to be one of the King's gifted archers.
We are offering three different longbow archery experiences for you to chose from. The taster gives you a two-hour introduction to longbows. The three-hour masterclass goes more in-depth with everything from shooting positions, to learning how to speed shot up to 12 arrows on target in one minute. The five-hour experience fully immerses you into the world of re-enactment and traditional skills, turning you into a Medieval archery master or mistress of the longbow.
• Available on selected days throughout the year, subject to availability. Book early to avoid disappointment, we recommend booking at least 4 to 6 weeks in advance
• Minimum age 8
• Under 16s must be accompanied by a participating adult
• Participants should have a good, general level of fitness
• Spectators are welcome
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• You may form a group of up to 16 people
• This is an outdoor activity so please dress appropriately for the time of year and weather conditions. Be prepared to be exposed to the great British weather
• Chelmsford, Essex