• Tall ship sailing around South England's Jurassic Coastline
• All sails include a 10 minute refreshment break with tea/coffee and biscuits provided
• A break for lunch is included on 3, 4 and 5 hour sails (lunch not provided - bring a picnic)
• You will form part of a group of up to 12 passengers
2 Hour Weymouth Bay Sail
• See Portland sea forts and lighthouse, Nothe Fort and Weymouth Bay
• A gentle sail ideal for new sailors
3 Hour Osmington Mills Sail
• In addition to the sights on the 2 hour sail you will also head over to Bowleaze Cove, Osmington Mills, Ringstead Bay & Ringstead Ledge
• Anchor for a short while with opportunity to take in the sights and have a swim & picnic
• Opportunity to assist with hoisting the sails and lowering and raising the anchor
4 Hour Durdle Door Sail
• Sail out of Portland Marina passing the sea forts and lighthouses into the harbour across Weymouth Bay to Durdle Door with sights of Man O'War Bay
• Drop anchor for pictures and a break for lunch to learn a little history of the Jurassic Coast before heading back
5 Hour Lulworth Cove Sail
• Sail from Portland Marina, passed the sea forts and lighthouse across Weymouth Bay to Durdle Door
• Drop anchor for pictures and a picnic and learn a little about the history of the Jurassic Coastline
• Sail on to Stair Hole and Man O'War Bay before heading back across Weymouth Bay
What Can I Expect
Go tall ship sailing in Dorset on board the good ship Moonfleet! Set sail from Portland Marina on a lovely tall ship to ride the seas along the spectacular Jurassic Coast. Roll your sleeves up and get stuck in with the crew, or just relax and watch the world go by - it’s up to you.
Moonfleet was originally built in Holland in the 1930s as a cargo boat. This steel-hulled ship was then converted into a sail training vessel, with the aim of making tall ship sailing affordable for all. And these experiences in Dorset certainly live up to that mantra, with a two-hour sail out costing less than £50.
And we have to say, we don’t know why, but there’s something rather fantastical and even romantic about these elegant tall ships. It’s all about adventures on the high seas and glorious sailing expeditions at the helm of such a beautiful vessel, with you joining the Moonfleet crew!
Led by Captain Jez, you’ll motor out of Portland Harbour. Once on the open seas it’s time to put to sail. This is your chance to hoist the mainsail. It's great fun for all to take part in and no previous sailing experience is needed. Once the skipper has cut the motor, there’s no noise, apart from the sea and the wind in the sails. At this point you'll take it in turns to take the helm, guiding Moonfleet on her path with the big wooden wheel.
Crossing Weymouth Bay you’ll be treated to superb views back towards the shores of Dorset’s famous Jurassic Coastline. It’s a real treat to spot all the beaches, coves and cliffs from the boat, as it gives you that whole new perspective from out on the water. Opt for the four-hour sail and you’ll drop anchor near Durdle Door, the iconic limestone arch - an absolute highlight for any tall ship sailor!
Of course, no tall ship expedition would be the same without cracking open the biscuit barrel and popping the kettle on the stove for a mug of tea, so there’s plenty of time for this on each voyage. And it’s all very convivial too. You might hear some tall tales from seaman Ken’s days in the Navy, hang out with Captain Scrummage, the ship’s gorgeous Black Labrador, or assist First Mate Brian with dropping the anchor in a secluded bay. We reckon you’re going to love the day you went tall ship sailing in Dorset.
• Selected weekdays and weekends between April and October
• Subject to availability, dependant on your chosen sail
• Trips should be booked at least two weeks in advance to avoid disappointment
• Suitable for all ages and abilities
• Well behaved dogs are welcome. Please be aware Captain Scrum, the resident black Labrador will be on board!
• Spectators are welcome to watch your departure and arrival from the Marina
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Passengers can neither bring their own picnic lunch or this can be provided by outside caterers for an additional charge
• Suitable outdoor clothing and footwear should be worn
• Free parking is available at Portland Marina
• Portland Marina, Weymouth Bay