• Unlimited travel on any normal service day
• Cream tea in the Whistlestop Cafe
• Two scones each served with clotted cream, butter jam and tea or coffee
• Access to all the attractions and features at the East Somerset Railway; engine shed, museum, gift shop, David Shephard Discovery Centre, miniature railway and signal box
• Participants should allow around between 3-5 hours on site for this experience
What Can I Expect
It’s pretty much access all areas when you go on this Somerset railway experience! The Whistlestop Cream Tea & Steam Train Ride is a great value railway experience for two people that gives you plenty to see and do at this delightful heritage railway near Shepton Mallet in Somerset.
Founder of the East Somerset Railway David Shepherd first set eyes on the dilapidated railway station at Cranmore in 1971 and it was “one of the many sleepy little branch line stations that were victims of the Beeching axe.” Since he had bought two steam locomotives from British Rail that needed a home, he invested in Cranmore and the first of the Somerset heritage railway passenger services ran in late 1973.
By buying this East Somerset railway experience you’ll be helping to safeguard this wonderful little part of British railway history. Your experience starts with introductions to the enthusiastic staff and volunteers. You’ll each be issued with an all day rover ticket that is valid for all services on the line, which run from Cranmore Station where you’re at, to Mendip Vale.
As well as enjoying all day steam train rides with your rover tickets, your experience also includes cream tea for two at the Whistlestop Cafe. Located at the main station, it’s the perfect place for a break whilst you watch the comings and goings outside. Your voucher entitles you to two scones each, served with clotted cream, jam and butter and your choice of drink from tea or coffee.
A little stroll after all that creaminess might be a nice idea. You can head over to the East Somerset model shop, visit the small museum in the station’s waiting room, wander around the engine shed (where all the restoration work goes on), explore the David Shepherd Discovery Centre and take a look at the miniature railway too. If time and staff availability permits, you may also be invited on a brief visit of the station’s signal box - a brilliant way to round off your VIP Somerset railway experience.
Book your Whistlestop Cream Tea & Steam Train package for two now and treat someone you love to a day out at the East Somerset Railway for train rides, visits and a delicious cream tea too.
• All operating days March-October (excluding August and special events days)
• Pre-booking is not required for this experience, you can just turn up on a day when trains are running
• This experience is for two people
• Under 17s must be accompanied by a participating adult
• You are more than welcome to bring family and friends, however they will be required to purchase a ticket on the day
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Cream Teas can be upgraded to a hot lunch for an additional charge payable on the day
• East Somerset Railway, Shepton Mallet, Somerset