• One hour session with a variety of air rifles
• Rifles include BSA, Hatsan, LoGun, Webley and Weihrauch, fitted with open (iron) and telescopic sights
• Sessions start with paper targets (5 rounds at a time), moving on to mechanical versions
• Depending on ability, participants may progress to magazine fed rifles
• Expert tuition with lots of tips and advice
• Opportunity to view the onsite armoured vehicle collection
• You will form part of a small group of up to 3 participants (larger groups can be accommodated upon request)
• Take your paper targets home, signed by your instructor as a momentum of your day
What Can I Expect
Handle a full selection of air guns at this shooting range near Newcastle! This is target rifle shooting for maximum fun in a safe and controlled environment, which gives you the chance to fire a variety of air rifles. It’s a great setting and one of the most intriguing shooting ranges in the north east.
Deep in the Northumberland countryside, yet just 16 miles from Newcastle City Centre, this shooting range is in the grounds of a lovely country house hotel. The team that runs these shooting events is the preferred supplier for outdoor activities here, so you know you’re in good hands. What’s more, it’s a long-established business, with the combined experience of the shooting instructors totting up to over a 100 years!
Target shooting take place indoors using a purpose built shooting benches that you sit at. If the weather is good, you might shoot outdoors, in what shooters call the ‘prone’ posture, that’s to say lying flat on your tummy. This is the most stable position to adopt and it feels all the more ‘commando’, as you line up your shot and get ready to blast pellet holes in those traditional paper targets.
If things progress well during your target shoot, you might be able to turn your attention to the mechanical targets. These are metal shapes that you knock down with your pellets and make for that very satisfying ‘ping’ when you get a hit.
To be able to hit the targets spot-on you need the right weapon. This Newcastle shoot has invested in a wide range of arms. All are compressed gas air rifles, including different weights for younger participants. There are the precision air rifles from Germany’s Weihrauch, the BSA and Webley, that are handmade in Birmingham and the must-have, European-produced Hatsan air guns to name just a few.
It’s a superb collection of arms and during your target shooting session you’ll be able to try out several of them. And it’s this variety of that makes target rifle shooting in Newcastle unique. Whether you’re a first time shooter or a bit of a hot-shot when it comes to shooting, there’s plenty to keep you amused at this country estate shooting range outside Newcastle.
• Selected weekdays and weekends throughout the year
• Dates and session times are subject to availability
• Minimum age 12
• Under 16s must be accompanied by a participating or spectating adult
• A limited number of spectators are welcome to come along and watch the action, for a small additional charge
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Matfen Hall Estate
• Conveniently located a 20 minute drive from Newcastle city centre