• Two Day RYA Level 1 sailing course
• Courses are taken using keelboats
• Waterproofs, bouyancy aids and all equipment is provided
• There will normally be no more than six students to one instructor
Level 1 Syllabus
• How to sail in all directions
• Crewing and helming
• Awareness of launch and recovery
• To be able to sail in light winds under supervision and set your boat up ready for the next time
What Can I Expect
Go Sailing in Brighton! Opting for these two day sailing courses that are run out of the lovely Marina area just east of Brighton means that you'll have plenty of time to get to grips with sailing your boat around Brighton.
The idea behind these weekend sailing courses is for beginners to learn to sail in the relaxed and informal atmosphere at this Brighton sailing school. The young and vibrant team is ready and waiting to get you launched over two consecutive days of tuition.
To ensure that you progress quickly over your weekend, the student to instructor ratio is kept low. The whole group will be no more than six, with two boats crewed by a maximum of three people sailing at once around the Brighton waters. This way you know you'll be getting plenty of quality tuition time.
Weather permitting, you'll be setting sail straight out of Brighton Marina on your Keelboats. These modern craft have become one of the sailing vessels of choice for beginners right through to advanced sailors and are very much a favourite of both staff and clients at this Brighton sail centre. You and your crew will be working together using the sails, centreboard, rudder, trim and even your own bodyweight to control and steer the boat.
By the end of the second day sailing out of Brighton, you will be able to rig, launch and sail your boat upwind and downwind confidently, in light winds. You'll finish the weekend having gained your RYA (Royal Yachting Association) Level 1 certificate. All you need to bring for these Brighton sailing courses is a pair of old shoes you don't mind getting wet, all the rest, from buoyancy aids to waterproofs are all provided for you. More amazing sailing courses are available on IntotheBlue's main sailing section.
• Courses run throughout the spring and summer over two consecutive days at the weekend
• Sessions generally operate from 09:30-15.30 on both days
• Minimum age 16
• No maximum age - if you are agile enough to get in it you can sail it!
• It is not recommended if you have back or neck problems, please consult your doctor if in any doubt
• Wetsuits are provided
• Spectators are welcome although dur to the nature of this activity viewing is limited
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• There are lots of B&B's and hotels locally and the club can help with recommendations
• There are changing rooms, showers and toilets as well as numerous cafes and bars at the marina
• Free parking is available
• Brighton Marina, East Sussex