• Float through the Peak District along the river Derwent
• Enjoy the scenery and small grade rapids
• All equipment is provided, including wetsuits
• Allow 2 hrs 30 mins for this activity with 1.5 hours in the water
• You may form part of a small group of up to 8 people
What Can I Expect
Get your wetsuit on and get ready to relish your river tubing experience in Matlock! You’ll be riding the River Derwent in a ‘tube’, which is an super strong rigid inflatable ring. No paddling required, you’ll use the natural flow to go downstream.
You’ll be setting off from Darley Dale, a lovely corner of the Peak District National Park, to river tube all the way to Matlock Bath. Before you launch yourself into the waters, you’ll meet with your instructors who will get you kitted out in a wetsuit and helmet. There’ll be bank-side briefing so you know what to expect and what you’ll be doing out on the water.
Then it’s time for each of your to get your tube, get yourself in it and go riding the Derwent! They are surprisingly stable as your weight is well-balanced by sitting in the ring. You’ll be really quite comfy as you glide down the river, but if you’re up for it, the instructors will take you down some nice little rapids so you can get bounced around a bit in your tube.
For some extra tubing fun, the instructing team might also take you to an area of the Derwent where you can play around in the tubes. Try standing up on them, jumping in off them and generally having a whale of time messing about on the water.
What’s great about these sessions is that they are very laid back and totally suitable for all the family. Kids as young as six years old can river tube (as long as they can swim and are confident in open waters), which makes tubing in Matlock an ideal family outing on a weekend or in the holidays.
As one delighted tuber commented: “I’ve not seen my Mum laugh so much in ages”. And indeed, tubing is that sort of activity. It brings out the kid in the everyone and by the time you’ve got back to base, you’ll be a bit soggy and exhausted but totally exhilarated by the whole thing.
We are offering river tubing vouchers in Matlock for two to eight people to tube together along the lovely River Derwent. All sessions are guided and run regularly between April and October. Isn’t time you went tubing in the Peak District?
• Weekdays and weekends subject to availability
• Season usually runs April to October
• Minimum age 6
• All under 18's must be accompanied by a parent or guardian
• Maximum weight 22 stone
• All participants must be able to swim and feel confident in open water
• A minimum of two vouchers must be purchased for this experience
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Please bring footwear with good grip that you don't mind getting wet
• Matlock - River Derwent