• Introduction to the sport of river bugging
• A full safety briefing and all the training you'll need
• Instruction from qualified instructors
• Experience a number of rapids including Serpents Tail, Tombstones, Middle and Bottom hole
• Experience last for around 2.5 hours including kitting up and safety briefing
• You will form part of a group of up to 18 participants
What Can I Expect
Go extreme when you go river bugging in Llangollen! This picturesque part of North Wales is famed for its rapids and this thrilling experience gives you the chance to ride those swirling Welsh waters in a river bug!
If you don’t know already, river bugs are rigid inflatables for one person.They kind of look like the shape of a jetski (making them ideal for cutting through the water), they’ve got handle grips on the side and you use your hands to paddle and steer. You can lie down on your tummy on them, sit up in them or even try kneeling if you dare. Whichever way you ride, it’s going to be pretty extreme out there.
You’ll be in your bug on the waters of the River Dee near Llangollen. As this is the extreme version of river bugging, you will need to know how to swim, be confident in the water and be fairly fit, as (depending on water levels) you could be tackling grade 4 rapids.
As we said, this part of the River Dee is really popular for bugging. You’ve got some nice launch spots and plenty of natural obstacles to play. The most famous of which has to be Serpent’s Tail, where the water can whip round creating daring stoppers and surf waves too. You’ll need a fair amount of bottle to tackle these, along with the likes of Tombstones at the Mill and Middle and Bottom Hole.
You’ll be accompanied on your river bugging adventure by one of the centre’s watersports instructors. They know these waters well and will interpret what the river’s doing in all weathers. Fast flowing or at lower levels, they’ll find the best spots for you to ride the water, with the perfect mix of high thrills and safety.
Whilst no previous experience is needed for these river bugging adventures in Llangollen, you will need to be up for it, as it is pretty extreme. All the gear you need is included, so just bring your enthusiasm and get bugged out on the River Dee!
• River bugging operates between March and October, 7 days a week
• Sessions generally start at 09:00 and 13:00
• Participants should arrive 30 minutes before their scheduled start time
• Minimum age 16
• Participants must be able to swim and be confident in the water
• A good, general level of fitness is required
• Not suitable during pregnancy
• Friends and family are welcome
• There is a a large outdoor area overlooking the river and a Cafe
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Toilets, showers and changing facilities are on site
• You need to wear trainers and bring a towel, swimwear and a change of clothes
• During the time when the courses are run, the weather will not normally cause a run to be cancelled
• In the unlikely event that your run is postponed, another date will be offered to you
• The operator can also advise on a wide range of excellent accommodation options in the areas
• Llangollen Town Centre, Denbighshire