• Introduction to Mountain Biking
• Choose from a full or half day experience
• Bring your own mountain bike or opt for bike hire
• Learn the fundamentals of mountain biking
• Ride the bridleways of the Peak District
• You will be accompanied by a knowledgeable guide throughout
What Can I Expect
Go on a two-wheeled adventure on these Peak District mountain biking experiences! The Peak District in Derbyshire boosts some of the very best mountain bike rides in the whole of the country. There are endless tracks and trails that offer beautiful views and a feeling of riding in the wilderness that makes these mountain biking expeditions pretty special.
One thing to make clear is that you don’t need any mountain biking experience or knowledge for these rides out. As long as you can cycle, you can enjoy the Peak District on a mountain bike. These courses are also ideal if you’ve got a mountain bike, but want to learn more about where and how to ride in the open countryside.
We are offering both full and half day courses, with the option of bringing your own bike, or using one of the centre’s hire bikes. If you use your own bike it must be suitable for the off road terrain of the Peak District, with things like a minimum of 80mm front suspension, good brakes (disc brakes preferably), quick release seat post clamp and suitable tyres. If you’re not sure, the Peak District MTB team will check if your bike is suitable.
As for where you’ll be riding - well, the world is truly your oyster around the Peak District. Ancient paths (long before mountain bikes were invented) make for superb open trails for MTBers. They are all bridleways, BOATs (Bridleways Open to All Traffic), or restricted byways, which means you can ride a bike on all of them.
Criss-crossing over hills, moorlands, down valleys and round rocky outcrops, these routes, which are all open to bikers, are truly superb. Accompanied by expert guides, you’ll learn the technique for riding uphill on your mountain bike and for hitting the descents with ease (it’s all about where you put your weight on the bike). Then there’s orientation. There are no specific mountain bike signposted routes, so you’ll learn about route navigation too.
Around the Hope Valley and Hathersage area, where this outdoor centre has its base, there are some truly classic Peak District mountain biking trails. These full and half day MTB courses will show you the very best routes to pedal that are right on the doorstep, giving you confidence and building up your mountain bike knowledge too.
• Full day sessions are usually on selected Sundays from 09.30 finishing around 16.30
• Half day sessions generally operate on Saturdays from 09.30 until 12:30
• Minimum age is 14
• Under 18's must be accompanied by an adult
• A good level of fitness is required
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Peak District, locations may vary within this area
• Meeting Point is Hope Valley, Bamford