• Kayak for 4.5 miles of Derwnt water between Darley Dales and Matlock Bath
• Tandem or single person kayaks are available
• Welcome and safety briefing by your BCU kayak guide
• Paddle through beautiful Derbyshire countyside on the upper sections before taking on the small grade white water on the Derwent rapids
• Please allow around two hours for this experience
• All equipment is provided
• Vouchers must be purchased for a minimum of two people
• You will form a group of up to 8 participants
What Can I Expect
Go kayaking in the Peak District and paddle your way along the Derwent! If you’re looking for some fun on the flowing waters, these white water kayaking sessions in the Peak District certainly hit the spot, with stunning scenery as a bonus.
The Derwent waters you’ll be kayaking on have their source way up in the hills of the Peak District. The clear waters run along past Bakewell, Matlock, Belper and Derby itself, before joining the River Trent. As far as white water goes around the Matlock area it’s not the most extreme, but it surely is some of the most scenic stretches of water for kayaking on.
This Peak District crew has a fleet of rugged, inflatable solo and tandem kayaks for your experience. Thanks to their side tubes, they are really stable and very easy to manoeuvre too, making them a great choice for beginners. And indeed, for River Derwent water kayaking you don’t need any experience, but on the other hand, if you have had some paddle time already, there’s plenty to keep you entertained here too.
The centre is run by a husband and wife team who are brilliant at what they do. Having a fun and entertaining guide whilst out on the water with you is what can really make these white water kayaking sessions memorable, with plenty of giggles. They’ll encourage you to get wet (but only if you want to) and if a quick jump in the water to float alongside the kayak takes your fancy, then you can!
As well as all that’s happening with you and your kayaks, keep an eye out for other Derwent water residents such as mallards, moorhens, wagtails and even kingfishers. They’ve all been spotted along this 4.5mile kayaking route. And when you've paddled to Matlock Bath, make sure you look up to the impressive High Tor cliff and see if you can count the climbers scaling the rock!
So, whether you want to paddle furiously and feel the spray in your face, or just want a gentle meander along the river to take in all the nature and views on the way, kayaking in the Peak District has it all. And with wet suits available to hire to keep your warm, you can kayak along the Derwent all year round - as long as the water’s not frozen!
• Available on selected weekday and weekend dates throughout the year
• Minimum age 6
• All under 18's must be accompanied by a parent or guardian
• Maximum weight 22 stone
• All participants must be able to swim and feel confident in open water
• A minimum of two vouchers must be purchased for this experience
• Spectators are welcome to watch the departure
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Raft from the River Derwent at Station Road, Matlock, Derbyshire
• Transport is provided back to the departure point