• Try your hand at your choice of kayaking or Stand-up Paddleboarding (SUP)
• Safety briefing and introduction to the equipment
• Paddle around on the lake learning basic paddling techniques
• Tuition from one of the centres experienced coaches
• All safety equipment including buoyancy aids are provided
• Wetsuits are available to use if required
• Sessions last approximately 90 minutes
• You will form part of a group of up to 8 participants
Introduction to Paddlesports
• One-day introductory course which can be completed using kayaks or canoes (or both)
• The course covers basic skills required to control your boat along with an understanding of different types of boating
• Sessions are for a full day starting at 09:00 and finishing at 17:00
What Can I Expect
Try paddlesports in Milton Keynes! We’ve got taster sessions and one day courses to get you paddling in canoes, kayaks and on stand up paddleboards at the lovely Willen Lakes in Milton Keynes. The perfect chance to have a go at a new watersport!
If you’ve ever fancied having a go at a paddle sport in the Milton Keynes area this is your chance. Willen Lakes is a fantastic spot with purpose-built facilities to make it really easy for anyone wanting to get down there and try out a sport on the water. It’s easy to get to on public transport and there’s loads of (paid) parking all around the lake too.
The taster sessions here at Willen will give you an hour and a half to get to grips with your paddlesport of choice. There’s kayaking and stand up paddle boarding to choose between. Both are great fun and absolutely no previous experience is required. Just turn up with plenty of enthusiasm and you’ll get on just fine.
Your instructor will meet you lakeside for the welcome and introduction. Once you’ve got your wetsuit on, got your paddle in hand and your board, canoe or kayak, it’s time for a little onshore briefing before launching. After that, it’s over to you to head out onto the water and get paddling.
For those of you who fancy really getting to grips with a new paddlesport, this Milton Keynes centre offers full-day introductory courses too. You can pick canoe, kayak or both for your paddle day. Once again no previous paddle time is required for the full-day course and all the gear is included.
After the usual safety briefing and on-shore teaching, you’ll get plenty of paddling done. You’ll be shown how to paddle forwards and backwards, capsize procedures and turning in your vessel too. In essence, it’s to give you a good, all-round understanding of paddle sports so you feel confident out on the water.
Whether you just have a couple of hours or want to spend all day at the lakes, these paddlesports sessions at Milton Keynes offer great value for money. It’s so easy to spend the whole day at Willen Lakes, with cafes, a play area, a pub, cycle paths and running trails too. We think you’ll love it!
• Sessions generally operate on selected weekend dates with weekdays also available during school holidays
• All dates are subject to availability
• Minimum age 8
• Under 18s must be accompanied on site by an adult
• Spectators are welcome
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Participants should wear suitable footwear that they don't mind getting wet (trainers or wetsuit shoes)
• Willen Lakes, Milton Keynes