• Learn traditional blacksmithing techniques
• Take away a beautiful crafted piece of ironwork, created by you!
• You will form part of a small group of up to 8 participants
• Choose from a 3 or 5 hour experience
• Use heat and a hammer to forge a practical or decorative item from raw iron
• Create a sword, ring or other keepsake with your own hands
Knife Forging Workshop
• Learn the fundamentals of knife making and learn the traditional techniques involved
• You will be guided through the process of hand forging and polishing your knife
• Type of knives available to design and forge: Kitchen knife, hunting knife, bushcraft knife, re-enactment knife, fishing knife, woodwork tool
• Experiences last around 6 hours
Axe Forging Workshop
• Design and forge your own unique axe head
• Forge, harden, temper and sharpen your axe
• If time allows you will also have the opportunity to fit your own handle
• The day runs for approximately 7 hours
What Can I Expect
Visit Oldfield Forge and join the merry band of blacksmiths to make your very own forged iron piece! Spend time discovering how the age-old methods and traditions of blacksmithing are being kept very much alive at this brilliant blacksmith academy.
Deep in the heart of West Herefordshire countryside you’ll find Oldfield Forge. It’s a bucolic scene, with wildflower meadows, woodlands and even little shepherding huts to chill out in whilst the children play outside. As well as the chirping of the birds and swishing of the trees in the wind, you might just hear the sound of metal on metal. That will be the bustling blacksmith academy…
Not only unique in Herefordshire, this is the country’s only purpose-built blacksmithing training facility. The academy operates alongside a very successful family-run ironwork business producing everything from latches, stays, bells and tie backs, to bespoke designed and forged gates and furniture. Creating ironworks in both contemporary and classic styles, this is our industrial heritage at its very best, producing high-quality practical and artistic ironwork. And don’t just take our word for it - this forge carries out a lot of work for historical and ecclesiastical buildings looked after by the likes of National Trust, English Heritage and Cdaw in Wales.
And indeed it’s fascinating to watch the skilled blacksmiths at work, as the iron is heated to red hot, then twisted, bent and cut to create the most amazing forms and shapes. But of course, you’re not just here to watch, these are very much hands-on forging experiences and you will be joining the Herefordshire blacksmiths to learn how to make your bespoke iron piece.
We are offering introductory three and five hour blacksmithing courses, where you'll create a handcrafted keepsake for you to take home. We also have longer courses for you to tackle the more complex design of an axe or a knife under the watchful eye of the highly skilled blacksmiths. Book your place at the Oldfield Forge blacksmith academy for a fabulous day out of forging the metal!
• Weekdays and selected Saturdays throughout the year
• All dates are subject to availability
• Due to popularity please book well in advance to avoid disappointment (weekends especially get booked quickly)
• Minimum age 18
• Not suitable for spectators
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• A picnic lunch is available to purchase for an additional £8.50 payable when booking your date
• Hereford, Herefordshire