• A Drifting Experience in a Mazda MX-5
• Welcome, introduction and safety briefing
• Three passenger sighting laps in the MX-5
• One passenger hotlap linking the whole track
• Each lap is approximately 1km
• Experience times include arrival time, driver briefing, sighting laps and drive time
• Drive times are approximate and vary dependent on the participant
• 10 laps driving the track prepared MX-5 with 1:1 tuition
• Circuit drifting session with instruction on drifting techniques with varying speeds
• Experiences last approximately 90 minutes
• Experiences last approximately 2 hours
• 20 laps driving the MX-5 with 1:1 tuition
• Included with the above there will also be a session developing linking drifts, weight transfer dynamics and drift entry using the handbrake
• Experiences last approximately 3-4 hours
• 40 laps driving the MX-5 with 1:1 tuition
• In addition to the above you will learn techniques on individual corners covering weight transfer dynamics, breaking traction with the Scandinavian flick and lift-off oversteer
What Can I Expect
Get the adrenaline pumping with a full-blown sideways sliding day of drifting! Bovingdon airfield circuit is our location for these thrilling drifting experiences in Hertfordshire, where you'll be taught just how to get a Mazda MX5 drifting in style.
This place is a veritable drifting academy, as it has been purpose-built to offer multiple drift experience circuits. Bovingdon's tarmac runways are put to excellent use with sessions in specially prepped drifting cars. Indeed, the MX5 is a little rear wheel drive pocket rocket and has been beefed up with roll cages, limited slip differential, coil overs and fancy Enkei alloys - a proper drift-making motor!
You'll start with getting a feel for oversteer. Then it's all about breaking traction and balancing the car in a smooth, rolling drift. Nice. A bit of tuition on weight-shifting to flick the car sideways and you're on the road to cracking those transitional drift skills in the punchy MX5.
If you opt for the Bronze drifting session in Bovingdon, your experience gives you a total of 20 minutes out on the circuit. It's all about power sliding those wide, sweeping bends at a teeth-clenching 60mph or more, whilst staying in third gear. Those with Silver vouchers take the drift training in Hertfordshire a step further, by learning how to link those transitional turns, even initiating early with a little hand brake entry or two to proper style it out.
Anyone totally mad about drifting, should go for Gold in Bovingdon. This gives 40 driving laps over the day, starting by learning all the moves and having loads of seat time to be able to perfect all the basics, before progressing. Here you'll perform nice runs of handbrake turns and Scandi flicks, using lift off oversteer, weight transfer dynamics and hand brake entries all in the MX5.
As you can probably tell from this write up, this isn't just 'having a go' at drifting. Bovingdon hosts proper drifting training sessions, where you'll learn lots about this motoring skill that's almost as fun to watch, as it is to actually perform. So a call to all petrol heads: get yourself down to Hertfordshire for a drift-busting day in an MX5.
• Selected weekdays throughout the year
• Upgrades to include Saturday mornings are available for £39 when booking your date
• Experiences are subject to availability and weather conditions
• Height restrictions: minimum 5ft, maximum 6ft 2ins
• Weight restrictions: maximum 18 stone
• A full manual driving licence is required
• Participants must be physically fit with no serious health conditions
• Friends and family are welcome to come along and can participate in passenger hot laps from £15
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Flat soled shoes must be worn
• Glasses must be worn if needed
• Lunch is not included - refreshments and snacks are available to purchase onsite
• As an optional extra on the day, you can chose to drive a Nissan 350z for an additional charge of £29 for the bronze, £59 for the silver and £119 for the gold, subject to availability
• Additional laps and passengers laps are available to purchase when booking, starting from £15
• Drivers will need to sign a form accepting risk and vehicle damage liability of £1400+VAT alternatively a £25 Collision Damage waiver can be paid to zero the excess
• Bovingdon Airfield, Hemel Hemstead, Hertfordshire