• Trial flying lesson in a motor glider
• Welcome, introduction and safety briefing
• Receive instruction and handle to controls during your flight
• Great photo opportunities and sights of the Devonshire countryside
30 Minute Flight
• Introduction to motor gliding
• Spectacular views of the local countryside and scenery
• Climb high over the countryside under the power of the engine
• Reach 1 mile above sea-level before the engine is shut-down
• You will slowly drift down using rising air currents to soar
• See both North & South coasts, Dartmoor and Exeter, on good visibility days you may even see the south coast of Wales
• The perfect experience to try both gliding and powered flight
• Flight time is approximately 45 minutes
Jurassic Coast Experience
• Fly south-east to Lyme Regis then West along the coast to Exmouth
• Fly over Seaton, Beer and Sidmouth
• During your flight you will experience live air traffic control interactions
• Flight time is approximately 60 minutes
What Can I Expect
Marvellous motorgliding over Devon! Take off from Dunkeswell Airfield and enjoy a trial flight in a motorised glider. Once airborne, you’ll be treated to amazing views of Devon’s finest, from coast to countryside.
Dunkeswell is a lovely little airfield just north of Honiton, sitting pretty in the Blackdown Hills. Or rather we should say on the hills, as this airfield at 839ft above sea level is the highest licensed airfield in the country. It’s also well-known amongst the aviation community for excellent rising currents to soar in.
That’s why we are offering three different motorglider flights for you. If you’re looking for a taster into the world of motorised gliding, go for the 30-minute experience, where you’ll get to see all the best of Devonshire’s countryside in the local area. For the more daring amongst you, we can highly recommend the Mile High flight, where you’ll do just that. Climb up to one mile high (where you can see both the north and south Devon coasts) and then go soaring.
For maximum air time, go for the Jurassic Coast flight, which takes you on an aerial adventure down to charming Lyme Regis (famed for fossils and being where French Lieutenant’s Women was filmed) and along this stunning coastline all the way to Exmouth.
Being in a motorised glider for these flights, you get the best of both worlds. You take off under your own power, climb to the height you want to go and then cut off the engine so you can glide and experience the serenity of powerless flight. The Scheibe Rotax Falke motorgliders used at Dunkeswell also have the distinct advantage of excellent in-flight visibility, thanks to the large domed cockpit glass.
It’s also worth noting that these aircraft are side-by-side configuration, so you’ll be sitting up front right next to your pilot instructor and able to see everything that they’re doing. And that might come in handy, as these models have dual controls, so if you’re up for it, you’ll be able to have go at piloting your motorglider over Devon yourself!
• Weekdays and weekends throughout the year
• All dates are subject to availability and weather conditions
• Minimum age 10
• Under 18s must be accompanied on the airfield by an adult
• Maximum weight 16.5 stone (105 kg)
• Maximum height 6ft 8ins (2.03 metres)
• Spectators are welcome
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Participants must call on the morning of their flight to check weather conditions are suitable
• Light snacks, meals and refreshments can be purchased from the on-site Aviator Coffee Bar and Restaurant
• The South West Airfields Heritage Trust photographic museum is also located at Dunkeswell and is open to visitors (check opening times if you plan to visit)
• Dunkeswell Aerodrome, Honiton, Devon