• Four hour river kayaking trip
• Safety briefing and instruction on how to use the kayaking equipment
• Learn basic kayaking techniques
• Start at Barcombe Mills travelling up river to Isfield Weir
• Paddle the river at a leisurely pace, whilst enjoying the surrounding countryside and wildlife
What Can I Expect
Paddle the gentle waters of the River Ouse when you go kayaking in East Sussex! We are offering a kayak river trip that is ideal for beginners and experienced paddlers alike. Convivial, peaceful and fun, this is a great way to get into kayaking and explore a lovely waterway too.
The base for these experiences in East Sussex is Barcombe Mills, on the banks of the River Ouse near Lewes and not far from Brighton. This is a slow-flowing canal that winds its way through some beautiful countryside, including the very picturesque South Downs. It feels a million miles away from all the hustle, bustle, traffic and noise!
All the gear you need is included and you’ve got British Canoe Union instructors who will be leading and teaching. Before setting off on your kayaking expedition, you’ll go through the basic paddle and rescue techniques. You can even try the capsize drill, but only if you’re up for it.
Setting off from Barcombe Mills, you will be paddling upstream on the lovely River Ouse. It’s a tranquil oasis, as you gently paddle under disused railway bridges, past the waterside pub and alongside hedgerows and patchwork fields, spotting wildlife as you go. This is a much-loved tour route that takes you right to Isfield Weir, the very pretty restored lock, where you’ll turn back and head back to Barcombe.
There’s no need to have any kayaking experience to be able to go on the tour, but please be aware that it is around a four hour round trip, so you’ll need to be up for a lengthy, if leisurely, paddle out. Quite possibly the most idyllic setting for kayaking in the whole of East Sussex, we think you’ll love it here at Barcombe Mills.
• Selected weekend dates between March and October
• Suitable for both beginners and regular paddlers
• Minimum age 18
• Maximum weight 18 stone (115kg)
• Participants should be able to swim 50m unaided
• A good general level of fitness is required
• Due to the nature of this activity it is not suitable for spectators
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Suitable clothing for the time of year should be worn
• A change of clothing and appropriate footwear is also required
• You will form part of a small group for this experience
• River Ouse, Barcombe Mills
• Full directions will be sent when booking your date