• A hands on zoo keeper experience for one child , plus zoo entry for one parent or guardian
• Welcome and safety briefing
• Learn about the variety of creatures such as Meerkats, Skunks, Reptiles and more
• The experience will last around 3 hours
What Can I Expect
Join this junior zoo keeper experience and learn to look after the animals! Just for kids, this zoo keeper experience lets little ones spend a morning working with the zoo keeping team at Millets Farm in Oxfordshire, helping with all the daily tasks. If you know a youngster who loves animals, they’ll love this!
Millets Farm isn’t your usual zoo. That’s because the residents you’ll be meeting are all classed as exotic animals, with reptiles and furry creatures all featuring. The furry friends include ferrets, a family of gorgeous Meerkats, a pair of very cheeky skunks called Renee and Pepe and even a raccoon called Rocket. They are all brilliant fun and totally fascinating to watch. And as well as getting to see them at close quarters from inside their enclosure, young zoo keepers on this experience may also get to help with feeding too.
Over in the heated room, it’s the scaly reptilian corner. Basking in the warmth you’ll find there’s everything from a Red Rump Tarantula and hissing cockroaches, to Iguanas and Rat Snakes. Kids are totally mesmerised by reptiles (and indeed its the adults who are often less keen on meeting the snakes and cockroaches!) and with the zoo keeper hosting the experience, young ones will be able to ask all the questions they want and even be shown how to correctly handle these superb creatures.
And talking of scaredy-cat grown ups, this junior zoo keeper experience is actually for one youngster and their accompanying adult, making it great value. Of course, the day is geared towards showing kids what being a zoo keeper is like, but it’s really good that Mum or Dad can tag along too to observe the activities.
These junior zookeeper experiences run from around 9am until 12 midday. During that time your mini zoologists will be shown round Millets Farm, meet the residents, learn all about their habitats, be shown how to look after them and help out with zoo keeper tasks and jobs of the day. And there’s plenty of opportunities for you to take photos of your little ones as they shadow their zoo keeper for the morning.
• Selected dates throughout the year, subject to availability
• Sessions run from 9:00 to 12:00
• Minimum age 10
• Maximum age 16
• Participants must be accompanied by an adult on site
• One adult spectator per child is permitted
• Additional guests are welcome to purchase entry to the centre for £3.95 for children (3-15) and £6.95 for adults (16+)
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Abingdon, Oxfordshire