• One Day RYA Personal Watercraft Proficiency Course
• Learn the skills and background knowledge to handle a Jetski
• Following a safety briefing you'll receive tuition both on land and water from a qualified instructor
• All equipment is provided including jetski, wetsuits and safety gear
• On successful completion of the course you can apply for your PW International Certificate of Competence (ICC)*
• You will form part of a small group of up to 6 participants for this experience
• Launching & recovery
• Low & high speed handling
• Man overboard recouvery
• Come alongside / Marina Handling
• Towing and emergency situations
• Basic navigation & passage planning
• Road rules, weather and tides
• Aftercare and maintenance
What Can I Expect
This one-day jetski course is perfect if you own, like to hire or hope to perhaps one day buy, a personal watercraft and want to be a responsible jet skier. Taking place at this jet skiing school in Poole Harbour, the day combines on land and on water training, so that you can be competent and proficient when in charge of a personal watercraft by the end of your full day of training.
These courses are suited as much to total beginners who have never ridden a jetski, as those with a lot of experience already under their belts. Having a personal watercraft licence is becoming more and more a pre-requisite for lakes and some coastal areas where jet skis can be launched. It is often a condition for jetski members at clubs around the UK and even when it’s not a pre-requisite, this jetski course is an excellent thing to do to develop your jetski experience and knowledge!
The aim of the personal watercraft course is to make you self-sufficient out on the water on a jetski. The syllabus covers things like launching, handling and craft recovery skills. There’s useful info on passage planning and decision making out on the water. You’ll cover high and low speed riding skills in a hands-on way, explore essential safety info and practice collision avoidance skills. You will also touch on navigation skills, essential if you take your jetski out on the sea.
If you successfully complete the day course, you will be issued with a certificate of proficiency, accredited by the RYA (it's the Royal Yachting Association that oversees all boating and qualifications in the UK). You can then apply for your International Certificate of Competence for Personal Watercraft, which allows you to hire and ride jet skis abroad where certification is required.
All in all, we think these jet skis courses are a great idea for making sure jet skiers stay safe on the water. It’s a full day’s training with a clear programme that’ll be followed, with a mix of classroom and waterborne sessions. The hire of one of the operator’s fleet of jet skis is included in the voucher, along with wetsuits and safety gear.
• Courses operate on selected dates from March to November, subject to availability
• Choose from a weekday only voucher or to include weekend availability opt for the anytime voucher
• Minimum age is 12
• You should be confident in the water and able to swim
• You'll need to bring a towel and swimwear to wear under your wetsuit
• All riders will need to sign a waiver declaring that they have no known impairment or illness that may affect them operating the watercraft safely
• You will be covered for Public Liability Insurance but Personal Accident Insurance is recommended
• Suitable for those with little or no jetski experience through to those looking to gain certification
• The activity isn't really suitable for spectators however there's usually lots to see at the Marina
• Changing facilities and showers are provided
Anything Else I Need To Know?
* Applications for PW International Certificate of Competence (ICC) are free of charge for RYA members and £45 for non RYA members
• Poole Harbour in Dorset