• Welcome and pre-drive briefing
• Six miles driving the BMW i8
• High speed passenger ride in a performance saloon car (instructor driving)
• Personalised driving certificate
• Allow spending around one and a half hours at the venue
What Can I Expect
Fancy driving the i8? This is BMW’s fancy pants electric sports car and it’s coming to a race track near you! These experiences at a selection of race circuits around the country give you the chance to feel all that electric power under your feet.
You know how concept cars usually bear no resemblance to the actual production car? In this case, the BMW i8 coupe is as delightfully futuristic looking in the flesh as it was back in 2008 when the idea of a plug-in hybrid high performance BMW was first introduced to the world.
Back then you’d have probably said: "It looks great, but it’ll never catch on". And now look at us. From plug-in city cars to Formula E racing, electrified motoring is everywhere. The i8 neatly shows us that eco-responsible doesn’t mean boring, as you’ll find out when you get to take the impressive i8 for a spin.
Funky butterfly doors open to reveal a typically neat, precise and gadget-filled cockpit. This car certainly has style, leaning on the sporty heritage of BMW. Slide into that low-slung, racing-inspired seat and listen carefully to the in-car briefing from your instructor sitting beside you in the passenger seat.
When you’re ready it’s your moment. Just remember, being electric, the acceleration on this car is nifty to say the least. No turbo lag, no waiting for the injection of fuel. Foot down on the accelerator and you’re off, big time!
We think you’ll agree the i8 is a true delight to drive. Lively, sharp handling and undeniably quick, it really does feel like the sports car of the future, right here for real, right now. And in case you’re wondering, yes it does lack the throaty roar of a V8 engine, but those Bavarian boffins even came up with a clever solution for that too…
Book a session in a BMW i8 coupe and find out for yourself what all the fuss over this electric sports car from BMW is about, then round it all off with a hotlap in a high performance saloon. Perfect for (hybrid) petrol-heads everywhere!
• All venues operate from February to November
• Selected weekend and weekday dates are available
• Minimum age is 17
• A full UK driving licence must be shown on the day
• Drivers must be between 5ft and 6ft 5ins
• Maximum weight 18 stone
• A crash helmet is not necessary
• Trainers or soft soled shoes should be worn
• Family and friends are welcome
• Sorry no dogs allowed
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Optional Damage Waiver is available to purchase from the venue for a fee of £25
• There is a covered marquee with seating and toilets at all sites
• Food and drink is available to purchase on site
• Professional photographs of the participants driving action can be purchased with prices starting from £25
• Elvington, York
• Castle Combe Circuit, Wiltshire
• Bruntingthorpe Proving Ground, Leicestershire
• Blyton Park, Gainsborough
• Dunsfold Park, Surrey
• Three Sisters, Wigan
• NEC Arena Circuit, Birmingham
• Perranporth Driving Centre, Cornwall
Please note: 6 miles is equivalent to 3 laps at Castle Combe (due to longer circuit), 4 laps at Elvington, Blyton Park, Dunsfold and Bruntingthorpe; 6 laps at Three Sisters