• Pre-flight safety briefing
• You will be sharing your helicopter ride with up to five other passengers
• Plenty of photo opportunities
• Choose from the following flight options
• 5, 10 and 15 minute flights are available
• Enjoy stunning views of the local countryside
30 Minute Tour
• View the best sights of the historic City of York
45 Minute Tour
• In addition to the spectacular views of York you will also see Harewood House and the Emmerdale set
What Can I Expect
‘Ey up and away - this is North Yorkshire sightseeing! As they say around these parts: 'If it’s not in Yorkshire, it’s not worth visiting'. Perhaps just as well then that these helicopter rides in North Yorkshire take off from Elvington Airfield - right in the heart of the glorious Yorkshire countryside.
Just southeast of York city centre, Elvington airfield is quite a special place. During WW2, Halifax heavy bombers operated out of RAF Elvington, playing a key role in the Battle of the Ruhr. Towards the end of the war, two French squadrons occupied the base and post-war it was all about the Americans. The USAF had earmarked Elvington as a Strategic Air Command base and lots of work was done, including creating the longest tarmac runway in the North East and building a new control tower, but it was never entirely operational.
All this history is what makes the shorter helicopter rides so fascinating, as they give you the chance to hover over Elvington, where the vestiges of its previous important military roles are best seen from the air. And of course, beyond the airfield, you’ve got gorgeous rolling Yorkshire, with far-reaching views.Those on the 5, 10 and 15 minute helicopter will stay in and around the Elvington area.
For more classic North Yorkshire sites, we can highly recommend the 30 and 45 minute rides. In 30-minutes you’ll get as far York, where you’ll be treated to views of some of those fabulous sights and landmarks that could include the Minster, Clifford’s Tower, the Shambles and the Transport Museum too.
The very best of North Yorkshire continues on the 45 minute helicopter ride. Flying out of Elvington you head over York and then beyond to Harewood House. Instantly recognisable as the filming location used in Brideshead Revisited and Victoria, this stately home is a real treat from the aerial perspective. You get to look down on these Capability Brown designed landscape gardens and appreciate the magnificence of this Grade I listed house with its waterfall, lake, stables and castle too.
And an extra highlight for Emmerdale fans; you'll see the set on the 45-minute North Yorkshire sightseeing helicopter flights! All of these helicopter flights operate out of the historic Elvington Airfield, which is also home to the Yorkshire Air Museum. All in all a great day out!
• Selected weekends from March to October
• All flights are subject to availability and weather conditions
• Minimum age six
• Under 18s must be accompanied by a participating adult
• Maximum weight limit is 18 stone
• Maximum height is 6ft 3ins
• Spectators are welcome to watch the take off and landing
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Refreshments can be purchased from the onsite cafe with excellent views of the runway
• Elvington Airfield, York