• Your gliding experience will last up to two hours in total
• It includes a welcome and safety briefing, introduction to the aircraft and controls
• You will have one extended soaring flight or up to three shorter flights
What Can I Expect
A really rather special place to take to the air, you'll delight in soaring over the hillsides around Llandegla when you have a go at gliding in Wales. With instructors who are keen to show those on taster lessons just how the sun and air alone can power your flight, you'll learn a lot on these lessons as well as loving the sky-high Welsh views.
This popular North Wales club (or Clwb Gleido Gogledd Cymru in Welsh) uses a winch (cable launch) to get you airborne and, depending on local weather conditions and forecast, you will have one extended flight or up to three shorter flights during your time at the airfield.
But this isn't just a aerial excursion to see the sights of North Wales. Once you've launched, gained height and settled in to your glider flight, the pilot may very well hand you the controls so you will actually be steering the glider yourself, as you soar like a bird with the sun and air powering you over stunning vistas. Expect to hear words like 'lift' 'sink' 'pitch' 'roll' 'vario' and even find out what 'attitude' (yes, altitude, not altitude!) and 'strop' means in the world of gliding.
One of the best things about choosing to try out gliding out this Wales club is that you become a member of the club for 28 days, allowing you to return another day and get discounted flights if you find you're really hooked on flying! If you are more tempted by powered aircraft flights and taster lessons are available too from our main flying section.
We think you'll love gliding. This is the best of Wales and there are also great facilities nearby, including a B&B and several fine pubs, so why not make a weekend of your gliding lessons over North Wales and explore the local area afterwards too? And don't forget to invite friends and family along to enjoy the gliding fun watching you from the ground.
If Wales is too far to travel, Into the Blue offers gliding lessons at centres across the UK, so there's bound to be a suitable location for you.
• Glider flights operate on most weekends and bank holidays, weather permitting, all year round from 11:30am to dusk
• The maximum weight for taking a glider flight is 16.5 stone
• Minimum height 5’
• Maximum height is 6'2"
• Any under 18’s must be accompanied on site by a parent who will need to sign a disclaimer
• Spectators are very welcome to watch and can stay all day to watch the flying activity
• Facilities at the launch site are limited, however there are pubs offering food and drink nearby
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• All glider flight instructors are British Gliding Association qualified
• North Wales, near Llandegla, 11 miles west of Wrexham