• A gliding experience using either winch launches or aerotows
• All experiences start with a welcome and safety briefing from an experienced instructor
• Although specific launch or flying types can be requested the flight and aircraft type will be chosen by the instructor on the day taking weather conditions and other factors into account
Introduction to Gliding
• A short introduction to the sensation of flying
• Flights last between 5 and 10 minutes
• Please allow approximately two hours on site
Glider Flying Lesson
• Learn the basics of gliding and how to control the aircraft
• Extended flight time or multiple flights giving around 20 minutes of flying time
• Opportunity for hands-on control of the aircraft
• Allow for around two hours on site
One Day Gliding Course
• Comprehensive tuition on various aspects of gliding
• Learn to help with the flying operations
• Take two or more extended flights with around 60 minutes of total flying time
• You will form part of a small group of 3 participants
• Refreshments are included
• Lunch can be either purchased on site or you can bring a packed lunch
What Can I Expect
Gliding in Lincolnshire comes in three guises: you can be towed up by a tug plane, you can be winched up on a cable, or you can propel yourselves up into the blue skies of Lincolnshire in a glider with its own motor. All are great ways to see the patchwork quilt countryside of the East Midlands and we've got a full range of flight options available to suit glider novices and aerial enthusiasts alike.
The flight and aircraft type for these experiences at Saltby Airfield in Lincolnshire will be chosen by your instructor on the day, primarily to suit your needs as well as taking into account things like weather, equipment and instructor availability.
For those wanting a short but sweet taste of gliding, the introductory flight is perfect, giving you just enough flight time to experience what being airborne in a glider is all about. The glider flying lesson option gives you around 20 minutes of airborne time, which could be one or spread across multiple flights. And for those who really want to find out what it’s like to be a pilot of a glider, the one day course gives you a full day at this Lincolnshire aerodrome with two or more flights.
As for how you get into the air in your glider, the winch tow offers a quicker launch to a lower altitude. You’ll then be able to enjoy a smooth, leisurely flight back to the airfield - but be warned, your ascent is anything but slow and gentle! The winches take you from 0-60 mph in around three seconds, providing a blast of adrenaline before allowing you to take in the spectacular views that a glider flight in Lincolnshire offers, at a slightly more sedate pace.
On aerotows, the club’s tug plane takes you up to around 1,500-2,000ft before detaching, leaving your gliding soundlessly across the Lincolnshire skies, as your instructor explains and demonstrates the controls of this elegant aircraft. What’s more, you’ll have the opportunity to pilot the glider yourself for a short time.
And finally, for a spot of gliding at this Lincs airfield with a difference, there’s the glider with a motor. This self-propelled aircraft still looks like a traditional sailplane with the large wingspan, but it is equipped with a motor and propellor so you actually take off like a standard light aircraft, before gaining altitude and then turning the engine off to then glide gracefully back down to earth.
As well as the flexibility with flight times and aircraft, this club plays another ace card by operating seven days a week (weather depending). It is also handily located near to the motorways and major A-roads, making gliding in Lincolnshire accessible for glider fans from around the East Midlands.
• Weekdays and weekends throughout the year
• Experiences are subject to availability and weather conditions
• One day courses generally start at 10:00 and finish at 16:00
• Minimum age of 12 years
• Under 18s must be accompanied by an adult on the airfield
• Weight restrictions: minimum 7 stone, maximum 15 stone
• Height restrictions: maximum 6ft 2ins
• Please contact Into the Blue if you are close to these limits
• Spectators are welcome to watch the lesson from the clubhouse
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Your glider pilot will be a BGA qualified instructor
• Saltby Airfield, Skillinton, Lincolnshire,
• Conveniently located just off the A1 south of Grantham