• Glider flight over the North Devon countryside with the chance to take the controls
• Each trial lesson include a pre flight briefing and explanationof the controls
• Launched by a tug aircraft from a height of around 2000 ft
• Each glider flight lasts 15-20 minutes depending on the flying conditions
• Option to assist with the handling of the gliders whilst on the ground
IntotheBlue offers a range of
experience days searchable by using the Find Experience tool on our home page
What Can I Expect
Gliding in Devon lets you see the beautiful countryside from an amazingly serene aerial vantage point, as you glide through the skies above this quiet South Western corner of the country. The small and friendly North Devonshire aero club offers modern sailplanes to get your gliding dreams off the ground and aims to make you feel part of the team for the entirety of your glider experience.
For the one aerotow flight and the full day gliding experiences, this Devonshire club, which is one of the oldest established in the county, uses modern Blanik and Bergfalke twin-seater gliders that are very easy to control. Before being launched (the club has Piper Super Cruiser, a Bellanca Citabria and even a Chipmunk as tug planes!), your instructor will run through the pre-flight checks with you, as well giving you a safety briefing on the flight controls and instrument panels of these trainer sailplanes.
Once airborne, you'll soon start to get an aptitude for silent flight...no droning engines, no smell of aviation fuel, just the whistling sound of the wind as you are gliding effortlessly through the Devon sky. If you are keen to have a go, the instructor will hand you the controls so you can fly the glider yourself and if you’re feeling really confident in your newfound winged abilities, you can stay in charge for the remainder of the flight!
If you choose to be in the glider for three aerotow flights, you can expect to spend most of the day at this friendly Devon club. This gives you the opportunity to really feel like part of the team working together to get a glider into the air - from manoeuvring the gliders on the ground and launch preparation, to log keeping and administration, you’ll see it all.
All aircraft used for these gliding over Devon days have valid certificates of airworthiness and all instructors are fully qualified and members of the British Gliding Association. For a different birds-eye panorama, we also offer other gliding experience venues throughout the UK.
• Gliding in North Devon takes place at weekends only, between Easter and late September, subject to weather and light conditions
• Minimum age is 16 years
• Maximum weight 16 stone
• Maximum height 6'2"
• There is no upper age limit,
• Participants must be reasonably able bodied in order to get into the glider or assist with the launching and recovery of the aircraft
• Please make sure you let the club know of any disabilities before you fly so they can tailor the experience to suit your abilities
• Spectators are welcome to come and watch and are encouraged to get involved and help if they wish
• There is a clubhouse providing drinks and snacks
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• This friendly gliding club is located in the beautiful North Devon countryside, around an hour from Exeter and the M5, near Barnstaple