• A gliding lesson
• All experiences start with a pre-flight briefing and safety checks
• Between 6 to 20 minutes of gliding time per winch launch depending on the weather conditions
• At the end of your experience you will be presented with a certificate
• 6 winch launches with a qualified BGA instructor
• You will gain a good understanding and knowledge of flying techniques and procedures including log keeping and signalling, cable retrieve procedures and winch driving
• You will receive a completed training record and certificate
• 3 months free membership to the gliding school allowing you to fly as often as you like at membership rates
What Can I Expect
For a new way to discover Dartmoor, gliding offers a fantastic airborne view of the stunning South Devonshire countryside. This small and friendly club near Tavistock boasts two twin-seat training sailplanes (the proper term for gliders) and three single-seaters, all launched into the skies above Dartmoor using the winch system.
The Dartmoor club offers gliding to suit everyone, no matter what you hope to get out of the experience. For a tantalising taster session try the voucher for one winch, which gives you one glider flight with a trained instructor. But mark our words, when you’ve been up there once, you’ll want to go again, so that’s why we’ve also got a voucher for two winch launches too.
If you're interested in taking an in-depth look at gliding, the full-day Dartmoor glider experience is the one to go for. Here you’ll spend quality time with an instructor, who’ll talk you through the theory of piloting a sailplane as well as the technical aspects of flying, before you take to the skies in a dual control aircraft to have a go for real. Your pilot will demonstrate everything to you first and if you don’t get things quite right they’re always on hand to keep things safe and steady. On this most comprehensive glider day in Dartmoor you get to enjoy six flights, giving you maximum training time, as well as a full explanation of the various procedures involved in gliding.
Whatever option you choose, you are assured of a warm welcome over tea or coffee, followed by your ground-based safety briefing. You’ll be introduced to your instructor, before heading out to see the glider you’ll be flying. On the grass runway, the controls of the glider will be shown and explained to you; then without further ado, it's your turn to be launched skywards. Just how high the winch will be able to tow you depends on the weather and the winds, but you can go several thousand feet up before being released to gracefully fly over Dartmoor with just the wind to power you.
On all these glider lessons over South Devon, you will have time (in between taking in the picturesque views from the cockpit) to have a go at the controls of the sailplane. If you're on the full glider day, you’ll also take home a completed training record and certificate to celebrate your achievement and for all visitors the friendly team at the Dartmoor gliding club will make sure you have a silent, elegantly breath-taking day to remember.
• Saturdays and Sundays throughout the year
• Dates and session times are subject to availability and weather conditions
• Day courses run from 9am to 5pm with a break for lunch
• The maximum height is 6ft 3 inches
• Maximum weight is 16 stone
• Participants are required to declare they have no medical conditions that would stop them from flying
• Warm clothing and sturdy footwear in recommended
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Tea, coffee and biscuits are provided in the clubhouse
• Participants of the one day course are advised to bring along a packed lunch
• Brentor Airfield, 3 miles north of Tavistock in Devon