• Join an instructor on a day of foraging around woodlands
• You will learn floral identification techniques
• Learn about useful and medical plants available in the woodland
• Hands on training on how to harvest resources and prepare ingredients
• There will be tasting sessions through the day
• Allow spending a whole day at the venue
• All equipment and instruction is provided
• All instructors are fully qualified in survival, wildlife and first aid techniques
• Food will be provided and consists of what can be collected on the day
• Maximum group size is 16 with a minimum of three instructors providing tuition
What Can I Expect
Go into the wild on this Foraging Course in Oxfordshire or Leicestershire! This full day gives you a real insight into just what can be found when you go foraging in the dense woodlands around Appleton in Oxford or on the Belvoir Estate in Leicestershire. You’ll definitely discover your resourceful side with this back to basics forest adventure.
You can be assured of being in good hands, as your instructors for the day are some of the best in the business of being safe in the outdoors. They are passionate about building on the traditions of teaching survival and have won numerous awards and they were even featured in The Bear Grylls Born Survivor series. Jason, the foraging course’s chief instructor, has been voted the UK’s Best Bushcraft instructor and regularly provides lectures and demonstrations throughout the UK.
Your foraging expert will help open your eyes to the whole host of edible and medicinal flora native to the British woodland, how to harvest them responsibly and what they can be used for. There is a strong emphasis on protection and conservation and you will also spend time identifying trees and what fruits and wonders they can offer you. The courses are themed around the local climates in the Oxfordshire and Leicestershire areas and the seasons as well, so you will be gathering the goodies that are abundant and growing whenever you choose to take your course.
There will be tasting sessions throughout the day and the opportunity to practice your outback cooking techniques, as this one day foraging workshop culminates in preparing a meal around the campfire based on game or the plants and fruits you have reaped, giving you the chance to find out all about preparing foraged food to cook and eat outdoors, with the ingredients very much depending on the time of year.
This is the perfect way to spend a day getting back to basics and tune in to the hunter-gatherer in you with this great foraging course at your base of choice, either Leicestershire or Oxfordshire. It’s a very rewarding activity that will leave you with that feel good factor as you connect with nature and the wild. Weekend walks in the future will never be the same again, they’ll be a feast of wild resources....a forager’s dream!!
• Selected dates during spring and autumn months
• Minimum age is 18
• Under 16's must be accompanied by a participating adult
• You are advised to wear suitable outdoor, waterproof clothing and sensible footwear
• You will need to be prepared to travel on foot over rough terrain and spend a day outdoors
• This activity is not suitable for spectators
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Appleton, Oxfordshire
• Belvoir Estate, Leicestershire