• An Open Cockpit Gyrocopter Experience
• Choose from a 15, 30 or 60 minute flight
• Pre-Flight briefing and explanation of the controls
• Personalised flight Certificate
• Flying suit and helmet are provided
What Can I Expect
Autogyro, gyroplane or gyrocopters in Essex - whatever you call these funky little aircraft, they are great fun to fly! These flight experiences take off from historic North Weald Airfield (an important fighter base during the Battle of Britain) and give you a wonderful bird’s eye view of the London east area.
Just by the main M11/M25 junction, North Weald is a great place to take a gyrocopter lesson. As you soar over the Essex countryside, the London City skyline is never far away and it’s totally amazing to be able to look down and see the traffic snaking along the motorways, the greenery of Epping Forest and the lakes of Lee Valley Park as you fly.
But these gyrocopter flights out of this Essex base aren’t just about sightseeing, they’re about airmanship too! Chief instructor Owen Brooking will be getting you airborne in an open-cockpit gyro and making sure you have plenty of time to have a go at the controls too.
And in case you’re wondering what it’s like in a gyroplane, they are actually really stable. There are no wings to cause that bumpy turbulence, as the rotor blades simply slice through the air. You can also hover over the Essex countryside in a gyrocopter, but you can’t do vertical take offs and landings as you can’t increase in height whilst hovering. Having said that, you only need a tiny airstrip to take off and land one of these things, making them super agile.
Once you’re airborne out of North Weald, your cruising altitude will be about 800ft, which is lower than helicopters and fixed wing planes. This means you can literally see everything that’s going on below, which is utterly fascinating and mesmerising. And as the aerodrome is in the heart of Essex right next to the M11, there is so much going on around you.
We could say flying in a gyrocopter at Essex’s North Weald Airfield is a hidden gem of an activity, but now we’ve told you all about it! There’s plenty of opportunity to take a lesson though, as the school operates flights (subject to the weather) all through the year. Isn’t it time you joined the gyrocopter revolution and booked a flight?
• Weekdays and weekends throughout the year
• Flights are subject to weather conditions and availability
• Minimum age 14
• Under 18s must be accompanied on the airfield by an adult
• Weight restrictions: maximum 17 stone (108kg), minimum 6 stone (38kg)
• A good, general level of fitness is required
• Please seek medical advice if you have previously suffered a heart condition or other medical conditions such as back or neck
• This experience is not suitable during pregnancy
• Spectators are welcome
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Participants should wear comfortable outdoor clothing and closed-toe footwear
• Bring gloves to wear during the flight
• North Weald Airfield, Essex
• The venue is just off Junction 7 of the M11 with easy access from the M25 by car. Conveniently located for public transport with Harlow Rail Station and Epping Tube stations just a short taxi ride away.