• Drive a fully prepped Nissan Skyline, Nissan 200SX or Lexus IS200
• You will be taught the art of doughnuts and figures of 8
• 4 laps of a specially designed course putting into practice what was learnt in your earlier session
• Approximately 20-30 minutes driving time
• Choose from 3 or 6 high speed passenger laps, alongside an experienced instructor
• Please allow approximately four hours on site for this experience
What Can I Expect
This drift academy experience school reckons it can teach anyone how to drift in that fast and furious style. That might be fighting talk from this well-known slide school with several venues around the UK. The team here will tell you that you simply need to take everything you thought you knew about driving, throw it out of the window and learn how to pull donuts, figure of eights and drive fine lines - sideways. Simple.
What's great about this academy is that every driver instructor out on the track is a current or former British Drifting Championship competitor. With more podium finishes amongst them than you can imagine, they have a huge following of drifter boys and girls around the UK. This is the real deal and when they are not competing in thrilling side by side duels, they'll be teaching you, or taking you out for an edge-of-your-seat ride.
It's hardly surprising that drifting has its roots in illegal street racing. Now it is recognised as a motor sport in its own right, with championships around the world including the UK. Racers are judged on their line, the speed, the angle and showmanship, so if you can properly style it out while you slide at this drift academy, you could be onto something!
We must say something about the cars that are used at this drift school. The academy runs drift cars for training days and others for the BDC or one of the other drift series. The fleet includes near standard Lexus IS200s (apart from the welded slip diff!), fully race prepped Skylines and real deal Nissan 200 SXs, so you are learning this fine art in proper drifters.
We're talking welded diffs, hydro handbrakes, de-cats and performances exhausts here. And as you can see from the photos, there's no missing these Japanese drifting dreams coming on the track with that fluoro coachwork and growling exhaust. With names like Neopearl, NizSilvia and Pearl they are the true gems of the UK drifting scene.
So as a drift academy pupil, we think the adrenaline-fuelled combination of pro champ instructors and crazy Lexus and Nissan drift cars is sure to delight. You're sure to get the smell of burning rubber filling the skies at drifting circuits around the UK, as you side-slide your way around the tight circuit. Driving in a straight line will just seem so dull in comparison!
• Selected weekdays and weekends throughout the year
• Dates and session times are subject to availability
• Drivers must hold a current full driving licence which must be shown on the day
• An insurance excess applies of £39.50 to any drivers without a full licence on the day
• Maximum weight 22 stone
• Minimum height 4'6"
• Maximum height 6'9"
• Spectators are welcome and high speed passenger laps are available to purchase on the day
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Arms and legs must be covered at all times (no shorts or T shirts)
• Customers have an option of taking out a collision damage waiver at all venues on the day at sign up - £10 per driver
• Dogs or other animals are not permitted on the race circuit
• Birmingham Wheels Raceway, Birmingham, B8 1AD
• Standlake Arena, Standlake, Oxfordshire, OX29 7PR
• Aldershot Raceway, Aldershot, Hampshire GU11 1SQ (March-October)
• Rockingham L2D Training Ground, Northamptonshire, NN17 5AF *
* Premium circuit: £10 surcharge payable when booking your date (only available until end March 2020)