• After take-off from Duxford, the Dragon Rapide will turn South and follow the course of the Lea Valley towards London
• It won't be long before the world famous landmarks appear on the horizon, the vision gives a true period feel as you look out through the struts and double silver wings of your aircraft
• Approaching the city from the east, you will first recognise modern structures, such as the O2 Arena and the towers of Canary Wharf
• Up the River Thames, historic London reveals itself with Tower Bridge, St Paul's and, with permission from air traffic control, the Houses of Parliament and Big Ben
• With the gentle speed of the aircraft, there is plenty of time to enjoy the bird's eye perspective
• Please allow two to three hours for this experience
• Actual flight time is approximately 70 minutes
What Can I Expect
Take a vintage De Havilland Dragon Rapide flight over London! In its heyday, during the 1930s, the Dragon Rapide was one of the most luxurious compact airliners flying, offering a comfort and style in the skies for the rich and famous, with illustrious owners including King Edward VIII.
Now you can sample some of the flavour of the golden age of flying for yourself in this meticulously restored example of the much-loved vintage British aeroplane. We also have a wide range of vintage aircraft flights in classic two seater planes that will also take your breath away, as well as more conventional flying experiences. Each of the eight seats in the passenger cabin has its own window on the world and you can look forward to superb views as the aircraft flies at just 1500 feet and a gentle 90 knots.
Once onboard, you will take off from Duxford and head down towards London with its panorama of historic sites and modern landmarks. You'll pass over the 2012 Olympic Village, over Tower Bridge, past the Houses of Parliament and see Buckingham Palace from your seat. It's not just the views that have the 'wow factor on this experience, the fact that you are looking down on them from an historic Dragon Rapide makes it all the more special
At the end of your Dragon Rapide flight over London you will be able to buy souvenirs of your journey. What's more, admission to IWM Duxford is also included for every flyer, so you can make it a proper aviation-themed day out. Friends and family wanting to come and watch your big day can do so, when they buy a general admission ticket, which are offered at reduced prices.
IntotheBlue also proudly offers its customers a selection of Spitfire flights, memorable flights in a luxury helicopter as you 'buddy' the wingtip edge of a real WWII Supermarine Spitfire over the skies of Kent.
• Flights take place March - October every Saturday, Sunday and Wednesday
• All flights departs from and return to Duxford Airfield in Cambridgeshire, adjacent to junction 10 of the M11
• Don't forget the experience includes free entry to IWM Duxford and half price entry for accompanying spectators
• Maximum weight limit is 20 stone
• This activity is suitable for all ages
• Passengers will need to be able to climb a couple of steps to get into the vintage aircraft
• Flat shoes and comfortable clothing are recommended
• Spectators are welcome to come and watch take off and landing however it is necessary to enter IWM Duxford to watch the flight
• Entry to IWN Duxford is compulsory for participants and accompanying guests. Guests will enjoy half price entry to the site, children under 5 go free
• There is a restaurant and Cafe on site providing food and refreshments
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• A visit to IWM Duxford is a day out in itself so leave plenty of time to look around the museum. There is a restaurant and two cafes on site
• All quoted flight times are chock to chock