• Welcome introduction and safety briefing
• You may be with two other participants if flying in the Robinson R44 and four other passengers if flying in the AS350 Single Squirrel helicopter
Cardiff Bay Sightseeing Tour
• A low level scenic tour around Cardiff and the South Wales coastline
• Fly over Barry Island, Lavernock Point and the historic buildings of Cardiff
• a 20 minute flight covering approximately 34 miles
Heli Tour of Cardiff and the Principality Stadium
• Itinerary as per the Cardiff Bay tour but also flying past the Principality Stadium and Cardiff Castle
• A 30 minute flight covering approximately 50 miles
What Can I Expect
Will a Principality (formerly Millenium) Stadium tour or a Barry Island tour be on the flight path of your Cardiff tour by helicopter? Flights take off from West Usk Lighthouse near Newport and they’re operated by a luxury helicopter.
Now this is what we call seaside sightseeing in the Vale of Glamorgan. The coastline around this part of South Wales is varied and amazing to explore from the air. Of course, Cardiff itself dominates the skyline and the best views come with the 30 minute tour package. On this flight you head right over the famous Principality/Millennium Stadium and being in a helicopter means you can hover right over the 74,500 seater arena and get a bird's eye view of that retractable roof too!
Also on the half hour tour you also get to see Cardiff Castle, or Castell Caerdydd as it's known in Welsh. A real mixture of architectural styles, this castle is a familiar site, looking down over Cardiff city since medieval times, but rarely do people get the chance to observe the keep and the baileys from the air.
The rest of the itinerary for the 20 and 30 minute flights is the same. After taking off from the grounds of the clifftop lighthouse, you will head Cardiff Bay itself with the docks, the marina, the watersport centre and a whole lot more, all visible from your privileged viewpoint in the helicopter. And yes, your pilot will be flying at low-level over the best bits of Cardiff so you can get some great shots.
Then it’s over to Lavernock Point, the headland overlooking the Bristol Channel, before your flight continues on to Barry Island. This is where many scenes from TV shows 'Dr Who' and 'Gavin and Stacey' have been filmed, so you're sure to recognise lots from the air. Throughout the flight your pilot will point out all the landmarks both manmade and natural that make this area of the coast so distinctive.
And remember, this helicopter flight isn't just abut the thrill of being transported in a fancy chopper, you will also get to see lots. So whether you've always wanted fly over the Principality (Millennium) Stadium, tour the Welsh coastline, or see Barry Island pleasure park and reminisce, it's all possible with these fabulous rides by helicopter - and all from a unique lighthouse location too!
• Generally available once a month throughout the year
• Flights are weather dependent and subject to availability
• Minimum age 6
• Under 10's must be accompanied by a participating adult
• Maximum seat weight limit is 18 stone
• If a participant is over 18 stone they can purchase two tickets
• Passengers must be able to wear the seatbelt fitted to the aircraft
• Spectators are welcome
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Participants must arrive 20 minutes before their scheduled time slot
• Scheduled times, routes and itinerary may be varied on the day due to weather or other operational requirements
• Upgrades to a co-pilot experience are available for an additional fee when booking your date (subject to availability)
• West Usk Lighthouse, St Brides Wentloog, Newport