• One day blacksmithing course
• Introduction to general blacksmithing skills
• Work for the day under the instruction of an award winning blacksmith using traditional blacksmithing tools
• Make your own fire poker, key fob and hook to take home with you
• Participants will have their own forge, anvil, vice and set of tools
• Hand outs detailing how to make each item
• Break for lunch (not included, please bring a packed lunch)
• You will form part of a small group of two participants
What Can I Expect
Forge your metalworking skills on these one-day blacksmith courses in Kent! Hosted by award-winning blacksmith Michael, you’ll spend the day at his workshop in the heart of Kent, learning the art of blacksmithing.
Located just outside the Kentish village of Horsmonden, Michael has set up a fully-equipped blacksmith’s forge. He specialises in using both traditional and contemporary techniques to create both classic and modern pieces. We love his architectural work, which has included everything from traditional iron gates at the Houses of Parliament, to vine-themed balconies on modern barn conversions.
As well as bespoke commissions and design work, Michael loves to take time to teach blacksmithing. Pupils come from all over Kent, Sussex and beyond to be taught the basics of this ancient craft. It’s a pleasure for us to be able to offer this blacksmithing course with Michael that lasts a full day.
Class sizes are kept to a maximum of just two people per course, so if you buy a voucher for two, it’ll be a private course for the two of you. The teaching is fully hands-on, so you’ll need to be fairly physically fit to take part and get the most out of the day. You’ll both be given your own set of blacksmithing tools, including the forge, anvil, vice and hand tools.
Working the molten metal is as amazing as you’d imagine. Taking a simple piece of metal and crafting it into a beautiful shape is thoroughly immersive and utterly satisfying. Throughout the day you’ll be working on three pieces, including a key fob, a fire poker and a hook. After you come up with a design together, Michael will be alongside you to explain, demonstrate and assist as you work.
By the end of these blacksmith courses in Kent you will have learnt a lot, created three lovely pieces to take home with you and spent a day in the heart of Kent with a very talented blacksmith, who is sure to inspire you. A great day out with a difference, suitable from the age of 16 years.
• Courses are generally available on Saturdays throughout the year*
* the course does not operate in July and August
• Sessions generally start at 9:30 finishing around 17:30
• Minimum age 16
• Due to the nature of this activity a good, general level of fitness is required
• Not suitable for spectators
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• The Forge, Horsmonden, Kent