• Drive a 500BHP American Big Rig Truck
• 1:1 tuition throughout from an experienced instructor
• Vehicles used are either Peterbilt or Kenworth trucks with manual gears
• Around 15 minutes familiarisation with introduction to the truck and tuition on gear change
• 15 minutes driving the truck around the circuit
• 15 minutes manoeuvring the truck in both forward and reverse
• Certificate of achievement
• Allow around one hour on site for this experience with a minimum of 30 minutes personal drive time
What Can I Expect
Get behind the wheel of ‘Big Rig’ on this American truck driving experience! Clive Shaw has been trucking in his Kenworths for years now and these showcase rigs are perennial favourites at truck fests and shows around the country. This is your chance to actually drive one!
Clive first came up with the crazy idea of importing an actual American truck from the United States in 2011. After many, many hours of work (and a lot of stainless steel polishing) Clive’s first rig all the way from Tennessee was as shiny and smooth-running as the day it first pounded those American highways.
Pretty pleased with the result and with several Best Kept Super Truck Awards on his dashboard, Clive decided to do it all over again. So Clive is the proud owner of the only pair of Kenworths with matching livery in the UK and has added to his collection with a Peterbilt and even a Kenworth owned by none other than Burt Reynolds.
Now (as the famous American soft drink Christmas advert goes) they’re ‘coming to your town’, with American truck driving experiences at Henstridge Airfield in Dorset and at Donington Race Track in the East Midlands.
And yes, these trucks are most definitely the real thing. They boast 500bhp+ and have manual gears. Using the Eaton Road Ranger transmission, this means that, with lo and hi gears, you have 18 in total. Yep, you read that right...e i g h t e e n!
As you might suspect, driving one of these mahoosive American big rig trucks is not like driving your average car, so each experience begins with a 15-minute in-cab briefing with your host at the wheel, so you can see how it all works. Then it’s over to you for 15-minutes on the track, with another 15-minutes attempting some of those classic trucker manoeuvres like reversing into a bay.
Whether you’ve always wanted your 10:4 Smokey and the Bandit moment, or just love that classic snowy winter scene with the brightly lit Kenworth delivering truck loads of festive cheer, we think you will relish the chance to have a go at this American truck driving experience. Dates are limited, so don’t hang around!
• Dates are subject to availability and weather conditions
• Due to the popularity of this experience, please book early to avoid disappointment
• Vouchers are valid for one of the following dates only
Current 2019 scheduled dates
• 18th August - Henstridge Airfield, Dorset
• 21st September - Donington Park, Leicestershire
• Minimum age 17
• Participants must hold a full, valid driving licence
• Minimum height 5ft
• Maximum height 6ft 6ins
• Maximum weight 19 stone
• Drivers must be able bodied and any medical conditions that may affect driving ability must be disclosed at the time of booking
• Spectators are welcome to come and watch at all venues for no additional charge
• Disabled access may vary depending on location
• Children must be supervised at all times
• Pets are not permitted at any circuit
• Toilets, viewing areas and refreshments are available at all venues
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Specific vehicle availability may be subject to change due to mechanical or operational factors
• In cases of extreme weather i.e snow, fog or ice experiences may be re-scheduled for safety reasons
• Comfortable shoes with thin soles are recommended
• Option at Donington location to drive for an additional 15 minutes with a trailer attached to the truck for a fee of £30 payable when making your booking
• Henstridge Airfield, Dorset
• Donington Park, Leicestershire