• Pre flight briefing
• Fly in one of last remaining airworthy DeHavilland Dragon Rapides
• Nostalgic Sightseeing over Cambridge or Cambridge, Ely & Newmarket
• Opportunity to take photographs from the air and on the ground
• Entrance to IWM Duxford
Choose one of the following Tours
• A Flight over Cambridge (approx 20 minute flight duration)
• Cambridge, Ely & Newmarket tour (approx 45 minute flight duration)
What Can I Expect
Sightseeing at its most civilised with these Cambridgeshire Dragon Rapide Pleasure Flights! Hark back to the dawn of mass air travel, when the de Havilland Dragon Rapide was THE short haul passenger airliner to be seen in during the 1930s. And before the Second World War halted such expansion of scheduled flights, the Rapide was used by many airlines in the UK.
The team in Duxford is incredibly proud to look after and operate two fully restored, fully air worthy Dragon Rapides compliant with current regulations, as there are very, very few still licensed to fly with passengers. With just eight seats onboard, (and each with way more leg room than you get in economy class these days!) every passenger is next to a window, so you will be able to get a good look out through the silver-coloured wings and struts.
The Cambridge, Ely & Newmarket tour lasts around 45 minutes and after take off you'll head to the centre of ancient Cambridge. Be prepared for breathtaking spires, historic colleges and pretty courtyards and cloisters as you fly over the likes of King's College Chapel, Trinity and St John's. You'll also be able to trace the course of the River Cam as it weaves through the city centre. Moving on over the fens you'll easily spot the lofty tower of 12th century Ely Cathedral, before your scenic flight continues to Newmarket where you'll see the famous race course. If you choose the flight over Cambridge your tour will last for around 20 minutes taking in the breathtaking spires with superb views of Cambridge.
This Cambridgeshire Dragon Rapide pleasure flight itinerary starts and finishes at Duxford Airfield. After the flight in this superb plane, you will be able to buy souvenirs and have plenty of time to take photos. Your package also includes entrance to IWM Duxford on site, so you can have a full day immersed in aviation history at its best.
• Flights take place on selected Wednesdays and weekends from mid-March through to mid-November
• All flights departs from and return to Duxford Airfield in Cambridgeshire, adjacent to junction 10 of the M11
• Don't forget the experience includes free entry to IWM Duxford and half price entry for accompanying spectators.
• Maximum weight limit is 20 stone
• This activity is suitable for all ages
• Passengers will need to be able to climb a couple of steps to get into the vintage aircraft
• Flat shoes and comfortable clothing are recommended
• Spectators are welcome to come and watch take off and landing however it is necessary to enter IWM Duxford to watch the flight
• Entry to IWM Duxford is compulsory for participants and accompanying guests. Guests will enjoy half price entry to the site, children under 5 go free
• There is a restaurant and Cafe on site providing food and refreshments
Anything Else I Need To Know?