• A full day with Border Collies
• Learn from fully qualified trainers and behaviourists about the dogs
• Work with different dogs and find out how to handle and train them
• Learn about farming, sheep, sheepdogs and trialling
• Shepherd a small flock of sheep to test your handling skills
• You may be part of a small group of up to eight people
• Tea, coffee and biscuits
What Can I Expect
Put your shepherding skills to the test when you pair up with a furry four-legged friend for this Sheepdog Experience in Yorkshire! Learn about how Border Collies are trained and bred to be master herders and you will even be able to try your hand at rounding up a flock of sheep with the help of these beautiful, smiley and very energetic dogs.
The setting for your sheepdog experience is near Bingley, West Yorkshire, on a proper working farm that’s on the edge of Ilkley Moor. Renowned for being the inspiration for the county’s anthem, On Ilkla Moor Baht ’at, this dramatic landscape is also home to many farms and smallholdings that continue to use and preserve traditional methods of farming and shepherding using well-trained, faithful dogs.
Your experience on this Yorkshire farm starts with a welcome from the sheepdogs and a brief explanation from their owners on the history of their use in agriculture and the selective breeding and training which has resulted in the skilled collies we know and love today. You’ll be in the capable hands of Barbara Sykes, a formidable woman who runs the farm and has been breeding, training and working with dogs all her life. She’s won multiple awards at the sheepdog trials with her collie, Meg, so you can be sure of getting expert advice on how to handle these loyal and hardworking animals.
Once you know the background of sheepdog training, your experience takes you out into the Yorkshire landscape to begin learning the techniques for directing and instructing the dogs. Once you’ve got a reasonable handle on the key calls, signs and whistles, you’ll be able to pit yourself against the herding challenge that is guiding a small flock of sheep around a course as neatly and quickly as possible, ably assisted by your trusty Collie sheepdog.
If you loved watching ‘One Man and His Dog’ on TV and have always wanted to know more about the fantastic skills and work that being a shepherd involves, then this is the course for you. Our sheepdog experience on Yorkshire’s rugged moorland makes for a wonderfully windswept day out in the country and is sure to be a real treat for dog lovers of all ages.
• Available on selected days throughout the year
• Arrival at 10:00 am for tea and coffee
• Course begins at 10:30am
• Departure is between 16:00 - 17:00 depending on group size and weather
• Minimum age is 16
• Under 18's must have an adult in attendance with them for the day
• Participants should wear suitable outdoor clothing for the day
• Sturdy footwear is advisable
• Waterproofs may be required on the day
• Spectators are welcome by arrangement with the venue
• Spectator charges are £10 per person payable on the day
• Charge includes entrance and tea and coffee for the day
• Guests will be with the participant all day
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Lunch is not included in this activity
• Participants are advised to take their own picnic
• Excellent "pub grub" is available nearby
• At a working farm near Bingley, West Yorkshire