• A six course dining experience onboard first class dining carriages hauled by a vintage steam locomotive
• First class 'runabout' tickets for each passenger providing unlimited travel on the day of your meal
• The journey lasts around two and a half hours, typically departing from Great Central Station at 7.00pm on Saturdays and 7.30pm on Fridays, travelling through Quorn & Woodhouse and Rothley stations before pausing at Leicester North . It then follows the same route back arriving at Loughborough Great Central around 10.00pm
What Can I Expect
Combine delicious food and locomotive nostalgia with a steam train dinner from Loughborough. Board this vintage steam-pulled carriage and spend a decadent Saturday evening surrounded by opulent interior décor and scenes of the beautiful Leicestershire countryside out of the windows.
This steam train dining experience begins in Loughborough’s Great Central Station, where you’ll board the elegant and well-appointed Charnwood Forester and take your seats in the First Class dining carriage. Your journey takes you through the atmospheric Quorn and Rothley stations, where the original Edwardian gas lights still illuminate the platforms, giving you a truly authentic early-20th century travelling experience.
Your meal is served to you at your seats and on the Charnwood Forester, this sumptuous steam train dinner consists of six delectable courses. Enjoy a starter, soup, a choice of mains (vegetarian options are available), a dessert, cheese and biscuits and finally round the entire evening off with coffee and chocolate mints – delicious!
Upon arrival at your destination, Leicester North, there is time for a quick wander and a chance to stretch your legs before you board the train for the return journey. What’s so great about this experience is that your rail ticket is valid for the entire day, so you can discover the individual stations along the route at your own pace in the hours preceding your meal and ride the different diesel and steam trains that frequent this historic railway line.
Booking well-advance is essential for this incredibly popular steam-powered dining event and menu choices need to be made at least a week before your journey. The anticipation makes it all worthwhile though, when as you board at Loughborough you are swept back to the golden age of rail travel, with the glamour and prestige that steam trains brought to the world of transport.
Locomotive lovers and food fanatics will adore this stylish soirée and it’s a fantastic gift experience for that special someone. With tables seating up to four people, you can even make this a family occasion, perhaps for an anniversary or important birthday. However you justify this decadent culinary delight, a steam train dinner at Loughborough is the ultimate in fine dining en route and is an evening not to be missed.
Take a look at our steam train trips for alternative dining days out around the UK, or for more gift ideas please visit our main IntotheBlue gifts page.
• The Charnwood Forester runs on regular Saturday evenings and selected Friday evenings throughout the year
• Please note that the menus and timetable are samples only and subject to change, especially at Christmas time
• Unfortunately this product is not valid for St Valentines Day
• Due to the popularity of this experience it is recommended to book well in advance to avoid disappointment
• To ensure the widest range of dates for guests, tables for four may also be available as an option for couples who are happy to share a table
• On booking, the operator may ask for your choice of main course in advance
• The operator also runs Christmas menus for which the vouchers will be accepted
• Minimum age 5
• It is possible for friends and family to buy a platform ticket only so they can wave you off and there are things to do at the station, but the most convivial thing to do is buy vouchers so you can make a family or group day of it and all eat together!
• Loughborough Central is where you will find a museum, station buffet and locomotive shed
• You are welcome to visit the area outside the shed where most locomotives can be viewed, but access into the shed is restricted for security reasons
• The operator can also assist and advise on local accommodation in the area
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• The trains depart from the Great Central Station in Loughborough
• The Central station has good access from the M1 (J23) and A6