• All experiences include entrance to the 6 acre nature trail
• There will be lots of great photo opportunities
• You will form part of a small group of up to 5-10 participants, depending on the experience
• 30 minute taster session to experience the ancient sport of falconry
• Learn the basic skills needed to handle the bird
• Walk some of the 6 acre nature trail flying a harris hawk to the glove
Owl Encounter or Falconry Experience
• Two hour session meeting all the birds at the centre
• Watch a flying display
• Handle and fly a selection of birds of your choice
Full Day Bird of Prey Experience
• Experiences last approximately six hours
• Welcome briefing and drink
• Learn about the history of falconry and how to hold and handle the birds
• Learn how to cast the bird and call them back to the glove
• Lunch break (lunch not included but available to purchase from the onsite restaurant)
• In the afternoon you will head into the surrounding woodland flying harris hawks
• Opportunity to watch a falcon in action
What Can I Expect
Meet the birds of prey of Kent in a wonderful nature trail setting! Based on a garden centre and woodland estate not far from Sevenoaks in Kent, this range of falconry experiences means there’s something for all ages to enjoy. What’s more, there’s lots to do and see all around this falconry centre for a full day out in the Kentish countryside.
Willows Bird of Prey Centre boasts a superb set up. It's right in the heart of the six-acre Coolings Green & Pleasant nature trail. Formerly nursery land used for growing specimen trees, it’s now a lovely mix of woodlands, grasslands and hedgerows in typical Kentish Garden of England fashion - the perfect habitat for these birds of prey.
We firmly believe happy falconers breed happy birds and this is certainly the case at this Kent centre. Every single member of the team is dedicated, passionate and enthusiastic, even when asked the same question hundreds of times in a busy weekend of falconry experiences.
As for the feathered residents, they're are all so used to being in the presence of us humans, they positively adore being handled and rather like showing off their flying and hunting skills too. Aero the Falcon is often the star of the show and Hazel the Harris Hawk never fails to amaze as she deftly ‘follows on’ when you head off on a hawk walk with her. Then there are the owls. So gorgeous. So fluffy. You can’t help cooing over the likes of Ghost.
This Kent falconry centre is open to the public and runs demos every day. The private experiences are exclusive for small groups and rather than just watching the flying action, you will get fully involved. And indeed, those on the full day falconry experience will become part of the team for the day learning lots, from the history of the sport and breeding, to handling and working with the birds.
Whichever birds of prey experience in Kent you go for, they are suitable from the age of eight and offer lots of handling and flying time. Entry to the nature trail is included, so you can spend time exploring the woodlands, saying hello to the rare breeds and farm animals, browsing the garden shop, enjoying a bite to eat in the cafe and just generally making the most of it!
• Tuesdays to Sundays throughout the year
• Hawk walks, owl encounters and falconry experiences start at 10.30am
• Full days start at 10.30am and finish around 4pm
• Minimum age 8
• Under 16s must be accompanied by a spectating adult for a additional £4.99 payable on the day
• A maximum of two spectators may accompany you for an additional charge of £4.99 payable on the day
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Coolings Green and Pleasant, Knockholt, Sevenoaks, Kent