• A flying lesson in a de Havilland Tiger Moth
• Your chosen flight duration
• All flight experiences include a pre-flight briefing, the loan of a flying helmet and goggles
• Take the controls of the aircraft as part of the flight
• Opportunity to experience a few gentle aerobatic moves performed by your instructor
What Can I Expect
Take to the skies in a Tiger Moth from Bicester Heritage and enjoy historic flying! These flights are steeped in history. Not only will you be in a vintage Tiger Moth, you’ll be taking off from the Bicester Heritage, formerly known as RAF Bicester - one of the best preserved 1930s airfields in the country.
The most popular time for these heritage flights is in the evenings . And the reason? Well, one glider’s thermal is another Tiger Moth’s turbulence, so once the daytime soarers are done, the Tiger Moth is rolled out ready for some mellow flying time. With calmer winds, quieter skies and the waning sun, it's a magical time of day. For those of you who can’t make weekday evenings, Moth flights from stunning Bicester are also scheduled for weekend daytimes, subject to the appropriate weather conditions.
The Tiger Moth you’ll be flying in is glorious. This Bicester Heritage flight operator has a lovely late 1940 model resplendent in her RAF training colour livery, which reflects her career at military training schools. Rumour has it that she will, at some point, be joined by three more flying Tiger Moth friends - one of which is a rare early 1935 example.
As for the pilots who will be taking you on these heritage Tiger Moth flights out of Bicester, each and every one of them has a lengthy CV when it comes to flying. RAF, commercial, freight, historic, aerobatic and jet planes all feature heavily, but ask any of them which aircraft holds a special place in their hearts and it's the Tiger Moth.
Setting off from Bicester Heritage in the heart of Oxfordshire means that, as soon as you’re airborne in the Tiger Moth, there is so much to see. Quintessential Oxfordshire villages are all around, complete with cricket pitches and pubs. There’s a plethora of grand country houses and private estates to fly over. You might even spot barges on the Oxford Canal near Somerton. And, of course, it all looks fantastic from the open cockpit of your Tiger Moth.
We are offering a full range of flights times in the Tiger Moths from Bicester Heritage. So whether you fancy a short summer sunset hop, or want to explore the countryside way beyond RAF Bicester, these historic flights from a truly vintage airfield can’t be beaten. And if you’re feeling brave, the pilot might also indulge you with a few gentle aerobatic moves to show there’s still life in the dear old Moth yet!
• Selected weekday evenings from 5pm and weekend daytime sessions are available
• All flights are weather dependent but don't worry if your flight is cancelled you can rebook for a convenient time
• Special offer weekday vouchers are valid for use on selected Monday-Thursday evenings from 5pm only
• Minimum age 14
• Under 18s must be accompanied on the airfield by an adult
• Maximum weight limit is 18 stone
• Height restrictions: minimum 4ft 11ins, maximum 6ft 7ins
• You need to be agile enough to climb in and out of the aircraft
• Spectators are welcome to watch the take off and landing
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Bicester Heritage, North Oxfordshire