•Your helicopter ride will provide 30 minutes' flying time although longer
helicopter lessons are available
• Your instructor will demonstrate the use of the controls and allow you to take control of the aircraft yourself
• Before your ride you will also enjoy a briefing and introduction to the principles of helicopter flight
What Can I Expect
Take your pick from a whole host of locations for these brilliant 30 minute helicopter rides! One of our most flexible vouchers, it's up to you where you decide to head to for your first foray into the wonderful world of rotary flight.
The airfields may vary, but each experience starts in the same way - with a pre-flight safety briefing. Listen carefully, as you may well hear your pilot instructor say the words "And this is the T-bar shaped stick that controls which way the chopper goes" - pretty essential stuff when it comes to riding in a helicopter!
Once you are comfortably strapped in, the instructor will perform the last run of checks. As the rotor blades start spinning, you will be struck how noisy it seems. If you've never been in a heli before, your first take off is sure to be an eye opener as you slowly rise up vertically for a few metres, then as you feel the chopper lean forward, you accelerate off into forward flight.
After gaining cruising height and speed, your pilot will introduce you to each of the three basic helicopter controls (including that all important cyclic we mentioned earlier!) demonstrating their use and effect and letting you try them for yourself. Indeed, your time in the helicopter isn't just for enjoying the ride, you will actual be at the controls too.
You will learn about pitching the nose of the helicopter up or down, or rolling from left or right. You'll grip what is known as the collective, which you move up and down to make the helicopter do likewise and your feet will be on the rudder pedals controlling the direction in which the helicopter is pointing - there's a lot to think about when it comes to handling a helicopter!
If there's one thing you'll be certain of after your ride, it'll be that helicopters are not easy to handle, but great fun to try, especially with the reassuring presence of an experienced, qualified instructor next to you. Of course, they all have full dual controls to use when necessary and with patient instruction, most people are soon able to achieve a degree of control within the period of a 30 minute ride.
If you'd like a more in-depth lesson than offered on these helicopter rides, then try our 60 Minute Helicopter Flights where the rides are longer and you'll be able to gain more experience, or even try a package offering five one hour 'learn to fly a helicopter' sessions aimed at preparing you for your PPL (H) licence.
• Helicopter rides operate run all year round, subject to weather conditions
• To fly you will need to be over 14 years old and be between 4'6" and 6'4" tall
• Maximum weight limit 16 stone
• Most helicopter clubs provide viewing areas, refreshments and toilets however facilities vary depending on location
• Spectators are always welcome to watch from a designated area and watch take off and landing
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• BUCKINGHAMSHIRE, Marlow
• HAMPSHIRE, Lee on Solent
• HEREFORDSHIRE, Leominster
• KENT, Manston/Kent International
• LANCASHIRE, Blackpool
• LEICESTERSHIRE, Leicester
• LINCOLNSHIRE, Humberside
• NOTTINGHAMSHIRE, Nottingham
• SOUTH YORKSHIRE, Doncaster
• SURREY, Camberley
• WALES, Powys
• WALES, Swansea